Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

raised grid

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 361
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the advantage of cooking higher than the grill level--up inside the dome? [p]Thanks

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    The further you are from the heat source the more even the heat is going to be, i.e., helps eliminate the "hot spots" problem. And, by cooking up higher you get the benefit of all that radiant heat from the dome. I never cook anything on the lower level except for wokking or steak searing......

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03563.jpg
    <p />egret,[p]I'm no stranger to cooking raised direct, but when you mentioned "...helps eliminate the "hot spots" problem" the light bulb came on. On indirect cooks I like up one leg on the plate setter to the rear to buffer my hot spots. For folks using fire bricks for cooking raised direct, I guess they should be positioned front and rear instead of side to side like in this picture. I guess I need to take another demonstration picture.[p]Thanks[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    DynaGreaseball, as well as better heat distribution/control as egret and thirdeye pointed out, you can also do multilevel cooks.[p]3tierribcook.jpg

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    RJH,[p]I knew [p]about the [p]multi-level [p]cooking. I just wondered if there was any other advantage.[p]Thanks to you both.
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I always cook on a raised grid when cooking direct. I use 3 bricks.[p]This eases the problem with flare ups/grease fires.[p]I place the elevated grid on the back so that I can "rest" product on it.[p]