Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken??????

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing chicken this weekend for about 10-12 people. I have a large egg and I had planned on doing some boneless breasts, and some thighs and legs. I was wanting some help with how would be the best setup to accomplish this as far as time, temp. setup? I plan on leaving some of the chicken as is with rub only and doing BBQ on some of it. I'm pretty new to the world of the egg, and those that I will be feeding have been tired of hearing me talk and talk about my new egg, so therefore I want to make sure that I do a great job in a timely fashion. Oh, and I've never brined before, is this something that I should do to any of this. Thanks in advance for all of your expertise. [p]

Comments

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,
    Just wondered if you have considered spatchcocking a couple of fryers. It is so dead simple and fool proof even I can do a good job on them. Once they go on a raised grid with a drip pan at 375-400 degrees for just over an hour, no turning no anything. I think the Naked Whiz has a good recipe for you to follow. Good luck Bucky

• Bucky Buckshot,
    I had thought about doing that, which i've done for my wife and I, just thought maybe I would try something different. When I spatched my chickens I felt like I would like to get more of a crust on the chicken, it was a little rubbery, more like a rotiss?? Thanks for the suggestion.

• Smoky Joe
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,
    You might want to try whole chickens, like beer can chicken, fill can about halfway with beer put some rub on the chicken and if you have an injector inject a mixture of 1/2 butter and 1/2 chicken stock into the breasts and into the legs. heat Egg to 350 install thermometer probe in about an hour you will have an awsome presentation the large should hold three or four chickens.
    SJ

• Smoky Joe
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,
    You might want to try whole chickens, like beer can chicken, fill can about halfway with beer put some rub on the chicken and if you have an injector inject a mixture of 1/2 butter and 1/2 chicken stock into the breasts and into the legs. heat Egg to 350 install thermometer probe in about an hour you will have an awsome presentation the large should hold three or four chickens.
    SJ

• Dr. Walrod, The DVD that came with the Egg had a good idea. Kevin Rathbun put on a whole chicken (good big one for your 10-12) and a bunch of thighs. All were seasoned. He put a bunch of seasoning on the inside of the bird and used a different seasoning on the thighs. He took the thighs off early. You could do that with some wings and legs. You might take the wings, thighs, and legs off early and then when the bird is done, shut everything down, wait a bit and put the wings, thighs, and legs back in the Egg to stay nice and warm while you slice up the chicken. Let us know how it turns out.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,[p]Most competition chicken seems to be thighs. They're harder to dry out than breasts, and a single one is a nice portion.[p]The best chicken I've done on the Egg was among the easiest and fastest. I had a bunch of boneless, skinless thighs. I gave them an even cover of teriyaki sauce in the morning. I skewered them, and cooked at a fairly high heat (can't find any notes on the session,) maybe 400. By my recollection, they were done in less than 20 mintes. This might be an approach you can use for the bunch of people you have comming over.[p]BTW, Spatched chickens can easily be crisped by running the temperature up to 450 either at the end of the cook, or the beginning. A starting sear insures a blackened skin, but its a little bit of a risk of being charred at the end.

• StratoEgg
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,

I do a blackened chicken rub (see below) If your better half doesn't like spicy like my kids I add more cumin and garlic to balance out the heat. Sometimes I inject butter/stock as previously stated but the end result is really nice and crips on the outside with juicy chicken meat on the inside. Just be sure you get a big enough chicken that has a large enough cavity to fit the beer can and the stand in there... needless to say it was self critiquing Sunday afternoon.

Blackened Chicken Rub

Mix ingredients in a bowl and melt the butter in a saucepan.

2 tsp Garlic Salt
    1-2 tsp Garlic powder
    2 tsp Ground black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    5 Tablespoon- butter
    Chopped parsley garnish

Prepare one whole chicken. Dry the outside w/ a paper towel. Brush butter on chicken then apply rub liberally to whole chicken. Set dome temp to 350 and place whole chickens on the grill or drip pan. Cook to internal temp to 165-175.

Cheers,

Al
  • Just Plain Mike
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,[p]In my opinion, boneless (skinless) chichen breasts are hard to get right because they tend to dry out. If I were preparing food for guests, I'd want to give myself a little better odds and prepare whole birds, either beer can or spatchcocked style. I rarely see anyone have a problem with these unless they just fail to monitor the cook.[p]
  • Smoky Joe,[p]Do you cook yours with or without a plate setter?