Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Chicken

Options
smoking paul
smoking paul Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have Big Green Egg, would like seasoning ingrediants and cooking recommendations

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Paul,[p]Dizzy Pig makes a rub, "Jamaican Firewalk," that makes a pretty good jerk chicken. Walkerswood rub and marinades are a notch hotter. The label says something like "a scant coat is enough," and when I used it on a spatch'd chicken, there were a few bites that bit back. [p]gdenby

• Bozzy
    Bozzy Posts: 27
    Options
    Paul,[p]I've used variations of this for a good jerk paste. I say variations as I usually mix/match the chilis or in some cases skip an ingredient or two as I usually just throw it all in a food processor and let it rip and if I'm out of something ... so what.[p]I rub the paste onto the chicken (or pork loin!) and let it sit overnight in the fridge.[p]2-5 chills (any hot...scotch bonnet, habanero, cayenne all work but if you don't like the heat try something more mild)
    bunch scallions or chives (just trip off the root)
    small onion peeled
    about an inch of ginger peeled
    3-6 cloves of garlic peeped
    a few sprigs of fresh thyme
    2 tbs allspice
    1 tsp black pepper
    3 tbs sea salt
    1/2 tsp nutmeg (very optional and it's easy to overdo it with nutmeg)
    dash cinnamon (optional)
    3 tbs cup cider vinegar
    2 tbs lime juice (can use lemon or just more vinegar in a pinch)
    3 tbs soy sauce
    2 tbs olive or canola oil (not EVOO)

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Paul,[p]I found this in the archives. I hope it can help.
    [ul][li]Jerk seasonings[/ul]
  • ChefDave
    Options
    Paul,
    Check on Hi Mountain jerk seasonings, they have some of the best. Just google Hi Mountain

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Letts-Do-It,
    There jerky is pretty darn good as well.[p]Mike

• ChefDave
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I have ordered their sausage seasonings in addition to the jerk. I'm bound to copy the blueberry sausage that SSN 686 served in Omaha. I tried to have some shipped from the store it buys it from but that was not possible. Summer sausage is another item that I need to work on.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Letts-Do-It,
    I will have it by the end of the month. Just won't be in casings.[p]Mike

• ChefDave
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    What will you have at the end of the month[p]