Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Carnitas please

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to know how to make carnitas from pulled pork. I know technically carnitas are boiled or something, but you'd think it would be way better made from egged pp wouldn't ya? I have a dozen or so aneheim peppers in the garden and a few pounds of left over PP and a big ole cast iron pot that needs to be in the egg. What go you think? [p]Thanks[p]Ed

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    egginator,[p]Here are some thoughts.[p]Pork, Butt, Carnitas, Latin

Master Mason,PP works wonderfully for burritos and enchiladas too. I even use it as a base for my tamale filling.Generally the cooking method for Carnitas is either braising or baking until the pork is able to be shreaded. Usually the seasonings are salt and pepper and sometimes garlic and onion are added. Following shreading, the pork is baked until the edges are just crispy. The meat is served with side bowls of salsa, maybe a chili sauce, onion & cilantro so that you add whatever you like to the burrito. The roadside stands or Taco Trucks sell it by the pound and you buy fresh tortillas and build your own.So if you like you can return a tray of PP to the Egg or the oven for a litle while, and there is nothing wrong if you want to add some of your favorite Mexican spices to it at this time. I like using both flour and corn tortillas and if you have access to fresh masa (or want to deal with Masa Harina) you can make gorditas, as they are excellent too. They are thicker than corn tortillas and are fried on a griddle until lightly browned. I make them about 3" in diameter and use Mexican melting cheese on top of the carnitas & toppings.~thirdeye~

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: thirdeye[p]Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 03/26/06

[p]

• egginator,[p]When I make carnitas, I used the left over pulled pork from my cook, marinate it in Coca-Cola, then broil or "Egg" it. The Coke puts a little sweetness to the meat, while giving it a crispy texture.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    egginator,
    Set out the meat on a plate and have small corn and flour tortillas with very thinly sliced cabbage, queso fresco, chopped jalapenos, chopped tomatoes, several types of salsas, and any other ingredient you want, and let everyone build their own. -RP

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AZRP,
    Almost forgot, limes, you need to have plenty of quartered limes to squeeze on them. -RP

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    egginator,[p]In mexico they use a big copper pot and cook with lard. I used orange juice and cooked it on the stove in a regular pot with good results. You can try it on the egg to get some smoke flavor.[p]Dec

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    egginator, Carnitas is traditionally braised or simmered pork that is browned, cooked over low heat for several hours, pulled or cut apart and then fried till a little crisp. You scoop a pile of it onto a hot corn tortilla, add a little cilantro, some chopped onions, and squeeze a wedge of lime over the whole mess. It seems that there are as many ways to cook this dish as there are tortillas to server it on, but the what we’ve found works for us is pretty simple. The trick is in the timing - cook it as long as you can at low temperature

• Davekatz
    Options
    egginator,[p]For our last batch of carnitas I seasoned a butt pretty heavily with Goya Sazón with Coriander and Annatto, smoked as per usual, pulled it, and then roasted it in an oven at 350 until it was crispy. Very nice. Pics and detail in the links below.[p]Next time, instead of shreading it, I want to try chunking the raw butt into pieces, putting it in a dutch oven, and roasting it on the Egg. [p]Dave[p]

[ul][li]Carnitas[/ul]
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.