Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caja China

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody have one of these? Just watched Throwdown with Bobby Flay. It would seem that it is no different than cooking in an oven because the fuel is on top. I'm such a toy freak though, for $299 it would be worth getting one to cook a whole hog. I'm kind of running out of porch space though, anybody? -RP

Comments

• AZRP,
    Take a look at the cajun cooker. Same idea
    Dave (also in AZ)

• AZRP,
    Take a look at the cajun microave. Same idea
    Dave (also in AZ)

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    AZRP,[p]I'm not certain why you would want one other than to roast a whole pig cheaply. They used briquettes but they were on top of the box, basically it was just an oven. Wooden box lined in sheet metal with grate on top for the charcoal, it would not provide much flavor to the meat. It's baking/roasting. No smoking. Thats a lot of space to heat, underneath a fire (heat rises) to do 4 butts like he did. He had to keep adding coal hourly he said, at least it was easy since it was exposed on top where most of the heat was lost. Its the anti-egg, the exact opposite.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    AZRP,
    ive seen a homemade version for doing newengland clam bakes, they work incredibly well. at my brothers wedding they cooked almost 300 lobsters and enough steamers, corn, and potaotoes for a crowd of 175 and only burnt 1 oak pallet for fuel on the top.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Having been born and raised here in South Florida...and still working in Miami five days per week....I've eaten alot of pork from the Caja China...It's really not BBQ'd...in the truest sense...It's more like steamed...It's very, very tasty...but it's not...in my opinion...BBQ....[p]Dr. BBQ and I were at the "Bubble Q" at the South Beach Food & Wine Festival this past year...and the same fellow that did the Throwdown with Bobby Flay was there...And we ate that pork from his Caja China...and it was very good...But still NOT real BBQ...but it was good...[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• AZRP, I have a homeade version we call the Cajun microwave.Very common in the Bayou/Cajun area. Personally it is not one of my favorites.It is really just an outdoor oven

• CampCook,
    I have had one for two years, and use it to cook for block partys and such. Works very good and the food is good.