Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA!!!!

Options
TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
dcp_1923.jpg
<p />My first attempt at homemade pizza with a new dough recipe. 15 minutes at 425-450 degrees. The crust ballooned a bit, but it did taste good.[p]Tom

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    TomCPA,
    "The crust ballooned a bit" [p]that's what i call good!![p]looks good also[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Smokin' Todd
    Options
    TomCPA,
    that looks delicious!
    One would never know that was a first attempt. Great job and thanx for sharing!
    ST

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    TomCPA,
    don't you want it to balloon? I thought that was a good thing![p]It looks delicious.[p]Gwen

• TomCPA,[p]OMG!!! That looks great. how did you make the crust? (recipe?)
  • TomCPA
    Options
    Caveman Smoker,[p]Here it is:[p]2 1/4 cups high-gluten flour (I've haven't tried with regular flour, but it should still work)
    3/4 cup warm water (not hot! If the water is too hot, the yeast will die.)
    1 teaspoon active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon olive oil (not extra virgin, regular)
    4 teaspoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of salt[p]Combine water, oil yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix until ingredients dissolve.[p]In a KitchenAid® (or equivalent) mixer, rub bowl lightly with olive oil (I use maybe 1/2 teaspoon of oil and rub with a paper towel around the bowl and the dough hook). Mix for 15 minutes, occasionally checking dough and cleaning dough from dough hook. Dough should be tacky to the touch, but not sticking to the fingers. Add extra flour and mix if dough is sticking to the fingers. Do this until dough is tacky. [p](The amount of flour used in this recipe is based on 50-51% humidity in my kitchen at the time I made it. I made this same dough a few days prior with 75% humidity in my kitchen and I used 3 1/2 cups of flour. Bottom line: know how humid your kitchen is and adjust flour portion accordingly. Everything else stayed the same.)[p]Once mixed, remove dough from bowl, place dough ball in a large (one gallon) plastic bag. Place dough ball on kitchen counter and fold bag opening under dough ball (basically, the weight of the dough acts to seal the bag) and cover with kitchen towel on counter for 1 to 1 1/2 hours (no more than 1 1/2 hours). [p]Afterwards, punch down the dough (deflate) by gently punching it with the fist a couple of times (you might hear a hissing noise. That's good.). Place dough in plastic bag in refrigerator as you did on the counter (i.e., weight of dough acts to seal the bag). Don't allow dough to be exposed to the refrigerator air. Let sit for 2 hours.[p]After 2 hours, I remove dough from refrigerator and rub a small hand full of corn meal on the pizza peel (or stone). Use enough to cover the peel. I roll dough using a rolling pin (don't forget to cover the rolling pin with corn meal or flour) until I get desired size and shape. Then, using store-bought pizza sauce (I know, I know, it's sacrilege, but I have yet to make a homemade pizza sauce), I coat dough with sauce using the back of a spoon. Then apply shredded mozzarella to taste.[p]Stabilize the BGE between 425-450. I usually apply the pizza to the plate setter, but I had trouble. In this case, I used a pizza stone (store bought, not BGE's). Bake for 10-15 minutes. Cheese should be a nice, golden brown color. Remove from BGE and let it rest for 5 minutes. [p]The basic dough recipe is from a book "The Art of Pizza Making" by Dominick DeAngelis. I made a couple of modifications which I included in my description. But the credit belongs to Dominick.

• Shishkaknob
    Options
    <a href=
    <p />TomCPA,
    Balloon crust looks yummy. Not enough toppings though. Load that baby up like this one! LOL! I love the egg for pizza.[p]Cheers,[p]John

• TomCPA
    Options
    Shishkaknob,[p]I would love to, but the wife hates meat toppings, the daughter hates any toppings and I hate veggies on my pizza (meat only, baby!). So this is a compromise. Not to worry, when they aren't home, it will get loaded up with bacon, sausage, etc. Basically heart attack on pizza dough![p]Tom
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Caveman Smoker,[p]As a new egg owner, I've been considering a pizza now and just started looking online at brick oven info and found this site to have some good info. Poke around the site some.
    [ul][li]Forno Bravo Pizza info[/ul]
  • SpokaneMan
    Options
    That looks great! Nothing wrong with a little ballooning.