Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our first cookoff, results and pics

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]I finally got around to updating our new website, and wanted to let everyone know the results of our first cookoff. It was a small local event with 12 teams and 3 meats (Chicken, ribs, and butts), judged KCBS style. The other 11 teams were a mix of Joe-Homeowners like ourselves, as well as some teams that compete regularly and some caterers. We were the only egg in the place, and fielded lots and lots of questions from the metal-heads that watched us relax while they pumped their cookers full of wood.[p]We ended up 2nd in Butts, and 3rd in Chicken. I'm really really happy with that being our first attempt. I need to get a 2nd egg to make it easier to time the turn-ins, as our ribs really suffered from staying warm in the cooler for a couple of hours.[p]Many thanks to the folks here, as without this forum I'd still be cooking burgers and chicken with Kraft sauce. [p]Here's a link for the pics, just click the More Info on the first page. Sorry no pics of the turn-in boxes, the public showed up and we were so busy fielding questions we forgot to pickup the camera![p]
- Mike

[ul][li]MotherCluckers BBQ[/ul]

Comments

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Wow, someone sure has a big smile on his face receiving that trophy! LOL Congratulation!![p]I'm curious how you transport your egg, esp afterwards when it's hot.[p]Gwen

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Con graduations to Mike and your wife. Not bad for the first time. Next one will be better, you was just nervous this time. Anyway, glad you made a showing.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Dimple's Mom,[p]I've never carried it while it was hot. For this event, I had to add lump just one time - and I only added what I thought was going to be "just enough" - and I was pretty close. What was left I let snuff itself out, and by the time turn-ins and judging and awards and cleanup were all done....it was cool enough to handle with gloves. Any other time I've travelled it was for overnight so it wasn't an issue.[p]To move it I actually unbolt the lower band and lift off the dome. Then me and a buddy will put it into a little wooden contraption we built off of an idea I found on this forum. Basically it's a piece of plywood with a circle in it that is held with 2x4's to another piece that the base sits one. It just helps keep the egg stable while it rides in the truck. We lift it all up into the truck, and put the dome back on. [p]Removing the dome isn't necessary, but I've had enough close calls due to the weight that I think it's a good idea. It takes 60 seconds, and saves me from worrying.[p]Yep, I was smiling pretty good. My buddy Mark has never boiled water, and he was more excited than myself. He spent all night talking to judges and had a ball. I think he'll have an egg within 6 months.[p]- Mike

• Charcoal Mike,
    Good Job.

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    >>My buddy Mark has never boiled water, and he was more excited than myself. He spent all night talking to judges and had a ball. I think he'll have an egg within 6 months.<<[p]That's almost as exciting as the win![p]Gwen
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Great stuff![p]Got the bug now don't you.[p]H

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Unfortunately for my checkbook - yes.[p]But man are those good times. Late nights, beer, good people, and fire. You can't get any better.[p]- Mike