Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sixth Brisket........ NERVOUS

Buckethead
Buckethead Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Should I be too anxious a 4.5 lb flat, bacon added for fat, on a v-rack, with a drip pan, @225 dome and the temp of meat went from 70 degrees to 130 in the first hour? I'm not all that nervous this is my sixth try and the first five were disasters.
Thanks
Doug

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Buckethead, no. Just keep the temp low. What you really want is to leave it in the 165-180 range just as long as possible. This is where the meat breaks down and becomes tender. It really doesn't make that much difference how long it takes to get to 165 (except that all the smoke flavor is taken on before it hits 130) and it really doesn't have to to get to 195 if you can keep it in the 165-180 range long enough.

• Wise One,
    Thanks, for your encouragement. I put the smoke to it early. Over my 32 years in the food biz and cooked most everything, this by far is the most difficult piece of meat to master.
    Thanks Doug

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Buckethead, I agree. Just be prepared to slice thin if too tough or thick if too tender.

• Buckethead,[p]Well if you don't like Brisket #6...try a whole packer next time. Like someone below mentions, briskets are tough to cook...but brisket flats by themself seem twice as tough to master. [p]Good luck this afternoon,
    -Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA