Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mahi mahi ideas?

Electric Don
Electric Don Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just looking for some interesting ideas for mahi mahi - some fresh fillets from the local grocery this morning. (very good deal at H-T in NVa). [p]Hope everyone in eggland has a great Labor Day holiday. [p]Don B.

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    electric don,
    Here are two:
    Bob
    Posted by: BobS on 2007/02/09 12:00:52 with karma: 0 [p]In Reply to: Mahi Mahi Recipes needed posted by Mrs. Taz on 2007/02/09 11:54:54
    Mrs. Taz,
    This was originally developed for steaks, but I have used it with great success on tuna
    and amberjack, so I think it would be fantastic on mahi mahi.[p]I'd cook it direct at about 400, for a nominal 10 minutes per inch of thickness.[p]Also, follow the note I made at the bottom and use a full stick of butter.[p]Garlic Butter Sauce for Steaks and anything else you can think of…….
    BGE Forum by RetiredRailroader
    Recipe originally from Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ cookbook.[p]6 cloves garlic, pressed
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons minced green onions (green and white parts)
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
    1 tablespoon minced thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon fine sea salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 teaspoon cognac[p]In a small bowl combine the ingredients until well blended. Rub half of the mixture all
    over the filets and cover with plastic wrap for 30 to 60 minutes at room temperature.
    Serve the filets when done with a dollop of the remaining butter mixture.[p]All I can say YUM!!! Also good on veggies (corn, green beans and asparagus).[p]RMS Comment: I made this with a full stick of butter and then used 1 tablespoon of the salt,
    pepper, and cognac.
    Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:33:08 -0400
    Subject: Nomination - Grilled Mahi Mahi With Banana Salsa[p]This is a great summer or winter recipe. In the summer, we grill the
    Mahi Mahi and, in the winter, we broil it.[p]The banana salsa sounds a little strange, but it is so good![p]Cheers,
    Janet[p]
    Grilled Mahi Mahi With Banana Salsa[p]2 lbs. fresh Mahi Mahi
    1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
    4 Tbsps. salt[p]2 large firm ripe bananas
    1 tsp. sesame oil
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    Grated zest of 1 lemon
    1 tsp. Chinese Five Spice powder[p]Slice the fish into 6 equal portions. Press the chopped cilantro into
    the top of each portion then generously sprinkle each piece with the
    kosher salt. Chill the fish
    tightly wrapped in cling wrap for at least 1 hour.[p]Add the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Chill
    for at least an hour.[p]Preheat the grill. Grill the fish for about 5 minutes on each side or
    until desired doneness.[p]Serve the fish generously topped with the salsa.[p]

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    electric don,
    Here is anoth one.[p]Mahi-Mahi, ClayQ

That's a nice fish, rather thick filet. I had a memorable mahi baked in a paper bag from a seafood joint on Maui. They made a ginger-butter sauce and when the bag was opened table side and my fish plated, the server poured sauce around the fish. Really good. The egg can do better.....
    [p]*********Butter sauce**********
    1/2 Stick Butter
    1 Oz. White Wine
    1 Tsp. Ginger, Fresh
    Pinch Cayenne
    2 Cloves Garlic, minced
    1 Tsp. Brown Sugar
    Sea Salt to taste

1 With the egg burning clean at 400 dome, grill direct on oiled grid, brushing fish with butter sauce until fish flakes with a fork test and is opaque. (about 8 minutes?)
    **********BUTTER SAUCE**********
    1 Simmer to reduce and take some out for basting fish when grilling, reserving the rest for the dinner plate

Recipe Type
    Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, ClayQ, 04/23/06

[p]