Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can there be a flash back with the dome down?

smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I was cooking pizzas last night with Nmaibian/Namchar lump. I am sure i had flash back with the dome closed! Flame came shooting out the top, bottom, and puffs of smoke out the sides! This happened about 12 times throughout the cook(4 med pizzas).Never with the dome opened![p]This has never happened before! could this be this lump?[p]Gayle

Comments

• smokn gramma g,[p]I have had some smole come out the bottom vent when the top vent is fairly wide open and the top vent is almost closed.[p]I have had licks of flame out the top of the dome when the fire is hot and the bottom vent open quite wide. I put the cast iron lid on and closed it down to get the top vent and lower vent to get the temp down and kill the flames.[p]Fire (flames) require 3 things. Heat, fuel and oxygen. Cut any one of those things off and the fire will go out - or in not start up. As long as lump is the fuel and not something like gasoline, then the oxygen is the next likely culpret.[p]You have fuel (lump), heat (obvious), somehow the egg got enough oxygen into the egg to cause flame.[p]If you had puffs of smoke or flame coming out between the dome and body you ahave an air leak somewhere which is most likely your gasket or the fit is bad or miss-aligned.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    smokn gramma g,
    Not uncommon. I've had this happen several times using BGE lump. This will most likely happen with the plate setter in place and high temps. although I've seen it before in the 350-400 degree range.

• kent,
    I do have a bad gasket, needs replacing again. Thanks for your help!

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    smokn gramma g, sometimes you will get some blow out, I got one last night doing wings at 325, I didn't see it happen, but some small ember flew out and landed right under my foot,
    Don't Go barefoot Around An Active Egg!!

• tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    tach18k,
    That I agree with. I had the same experience. I keep meaning to get a screen. Probably won't get one until I forget and go barefoot....tom[p]

• smokn gramma g,[p]If you gap in the gasket is sugnificant as a temporary solution you could use tinfoil with several folds to seal the leak. Leave some end pieces to fold over the lip of the egg to hold the temp seal in place.