Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received my Baking Stone and Plate Setter today and I'm kinda anxious to try them out. Do I need to pre-condition either of them before using? Also, has anyone tried the packaged frozen pizzas yet?

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I didn't season mine, just started cooking pizza.
    Make sure you put the plate sitter in with the legs DOWN and the stone on top.
    Enjoy, Enjoy
    B D

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]The BGE plate setter and pizza stone are ready to use on receipt.[p]Frozen pizzas are designed to be taken directly from the freezer and cooked in an oven. You only need to create an oven environment in your Egg to make the a better pizza. Preheat the plate setter with the pizza stone on top with your Egg to cooking the temperature as per the directions for the frozen pie. Add a wire rack on top of the pizza stone to space the pie above it. [p]Leave the bottom vent wide open and control the Egg temp with the top vent only. Your Egg is ready to cook the pie when you find that you have to really close the top vent to control the temperature rise. Add the frozen pie to the wire rack, close the dome, and remove the top vent completely. Place the top vent (wide open) back on once the dome temp achieves cooking temperature and then regulate the top vent to hold that temp.[p]Spin
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    You're hearing good advice here. I'll add one suggestion.
    Take off the cooking grill, then place the setter and stone.
    There are 2 reasons for this: 1)You don't want your pizza
    to taste like the last meat you cooked, and more importantly 2) When you get to the stage where you are making many pizzas, you may need to add fuel as you go. I save all of the fist size chunks of lump I encounter and then you can drop them in from the side of the setter if you start to lose temp (they will light immediately and
    save the day for you).
    Chuck

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    And don't forget to throw some smoking wood on the fire! Many pizzas benefit from a little smoke. My current favorite is a barbecued chicken/red onion pizza I get at a local pizza place. The added smoke taken up by the cheese is wonderful.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]If you washed your pizza stone prior to use, I'd suggest you let it dry for at least a day before use.[p]We did pizza last night for supper. You'll love it![p]Kelly

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, since wood tends to burn instead of smoke at the 500° to 525° temp for pizza I use smoked mozzerla instead with good results. Just my 2 coppers there!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks folks. I tried the frozen pizza tonight and it turned out great. But I think I may have taken it off the stone a couple of minutes early because the bullseye part was not quite ready (My hunger pains were rushing me). The rest of it was perfect and it had a really unusual flavor that it must have picked up from the BGE. I have some bread dough ready to go on tomorrow and while I have it all warmed up, I'm going to try baking some Southern Style biscuits. If the biscuits turn out okay I may just start cooking breakfast on the Egg. This is getting to be fun.