Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Boston Butt Update

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 7+ pounder that has been on for 3 hrs at about 200 degrees. She is already up to 155, I'm hoping she will stabalize a bit?? Smells great, I can't wait for the WVU/Va Tech game tomorrow!!!!
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Wardster,[p]The internal temp will rise quickly (cooking time wise) to the plateau temperature (165°+/-) where the rise will simply stop. Up to this point, you are adding the smoke flavor to the meal and slowly raising the meat temp to the important part of the cook. The plateau (when the internal temp stalls in its rise given a constant cooking temp) is when all of the good things start to happen that convert this tough chew of a meat into the tender meal with a unique flavor.[p]The internal temp will rise quickly, stop rising for many hours, and then rise quicker again. Dome temperature spikes and dips will have little to no effect on the finished product.[p]Spin
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Everything sounds quite normal.[p]Spin

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Wardster,
    3 hours to an internal of 155° sounds very fast to me....have you calibrated your dome thermometre lately???..there have been many who have had what has become known as "Turbo" butts latelt, that cook faster than normal..maybe thats what you have.. I did 2 4# butts on Sun. and they took 15 hours to 200° internal...honestly cant say exactly ..but at 3 hours I dont think I was much above 75° internal...just my $.02[p]Wess

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Wardster,
    You are either too shallow with your probe or touching a bone. Reset it.