Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This was so yummy I had to figure out how to post pictures

Options
Pace Yourself
Pace Yourself Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,[p]I just finished up some pizzas (this was my 4th time making them and I am feeling pretty good about it...) and my mouth is so happy I thought I would share.[p]3 pizzas, all about 11 inches (I have a small BGE...). The 1st was for the kids (1/2 cheese, 1/2 pepperoni. The 2nd was for me (super thin, thinly sliced garlic that had been roasted, crumbled up fatties, traditional red pizza sauce, motz and parmesan cheese.) Darn good....[p]The 3rd was for my wife - Pizza Margarite - supper thin crust, thin sliced tomatoes from the garden, torn up fresh bocconcini, salt pepper, olive oil and. When it came off I added fresh basil from the garden and a few drops of balsamic. Happy mouth....[p]
A word about the crust -I have a local market that sells fresh pizza dough from their bakery. Tonight, I took 1 lb and split it into 3 pieces and made my crusts from them. We love our thin crust pizza and the Egg does thin crust as well as any pizza place I have ever tried![p]I hope the pictures come through....[p]Cheers![p]

100_1073.jpg[p]
100_1074.jpg[p]
100_1075.jpg[p]
100_1076.jpg[p]

Comments

• Don from NJ
    Options
    Pace Yourself,[p]looks great, nice job! the Pizza Margarite 3rd pic makes it look like you have a HUGE hand!! :-)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Pace Yourself,
    lame joke: i always just make one pizza from the pound of dough, because i could never eat three pizzas.[p]or... i always cut my pizzas into six pieces, because i could never eat eight pieces of pizza.[p]ok ok, those s*cked.
    anyway...
    we got some good thin crust pizzas last week doing the same thing. three pizzas from the one pound. good stuff. been using a pizza pan, though seeing yours, i kinda miss the cornmeal.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Pace Yourself,
    Those look PERFECT! One thing that raises a pizza to great heights is using garden-fresh ingredients, like you did. Nothing beats that.[p]Judy

Judy in San Diego
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Pace Yourself,[p]Oh my word... that look incredible!!! What was your cooking setup? I have tried pizza only twice, and both times it was a complete failure!!

• Pace Yourself
    Options
    Hola AlaskanC,[p]I use a semi non-traditional set up (I think). I got the fire going then added the plate setter (legs down) then the pizza stone. The only caveat is that I used the set of shorter GrateMates from Chubby to raise the stone.[p]Basically I put in the plate setter then rigged the GrateMates under each leg of the plate setter. Then I added the stone (A Medium BGE Stone) and kind of pushed the GrateMates in so it would hold. (I know, a picture would be great but I have a fatty on right now so I can't re-create it.)[p]So, the bottom line is that I use a plate setter and a raised pizza stone. Then I let it get to at least 550 in the dome and each pizza was cooked for 8 minutes. (8 seems to be the magic number for me but I am sure this varies with the different size eggs and temperature...)[p]Good luck - I have tried a number of cooks on the egg in the last few months and I seem to be having the most fun with pizza, go figure - It is really an amazing oven/cooker/smoker/grill.[p]Cheers!

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Judy Mayberry, Agreed--and smoke in the dough. So good.

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Pace Yourself,[p]Great idea using the grate mates to raise the stone up!! I've got a set thanks to Spring Chicken, so I might give that a try. I wish we had a place that made pizza dough - I've made my own, but it would be nice to know that what I am using is tried & true, so when I screw up at least I know its not the dough!! lol[p]So I am assuming that you pre-heat your pizza stone, but what do you put down to keep the pizza from sticking?[p]I swear, I am going to try again one of these days!! lol[p]Thanks for the help!
  • Pace Yourself
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]I use lots of cornmeal when working the dough and on the peel. Seems to keep things from stiking so far....
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Pace Yourself,
    Another option is to use kosher salt on the stone. The salt doesn't burn when your cooking multipe pizzas like corn meal tends to and some of it sticks to the crust which IMHO is a good thing.