Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amount of Chunks/wood, adding, blue and white smoke

Options
Jeeves
Jeeves Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
#1 is there a general rule about how much wood should be added for a brisket or a butt?[p]#2 has anyone developed a 'gadget', like s metal slide that can help get more wood down to the fire while the plate setter is in place?[p]#3 Does anyone have any pictures of 'blue smoke' vs 'white smoke'?[p]TIA
Jeeves

Comments

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    Tally ho, Jeeves!
    I'll take a shot at number 2 here. I wondered the same thing for a long time, and with help from the forum, the best option (without removing everything to add more wood) seems to be to come up with you own lump/chunk "mix", perhaps keep it in a separate storage unit, and use it when you want to smoke. The theory being that if the wood is sort of randomly distributed throughout the lump, it will begin to smoke at different times over the life of the cook. This would seem to suggest using lighter blocks at various locations rather than starting your fire in the center of the lump.

All theory, no hard data.

Hank
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Jeeves,[p]1. You make your own rules.
    2. Try using your wiggle rod.
    3. There are plenty on my Intorduction to Barbecue page.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Intro to Q[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Jeeves,
    1 - Your taste.
    2 - Keep a written log. Too much smoke this time = start with fewer chips/chunks next time.
    3 - Besides the visual clues, smell what is coming out of the top of your Egg. If it smells good, start cooking. If it smells bad, it isn't ready.