Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken thighs

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking chicken thighs tonight. I will be using lemon pepper on some and jamaican seasoning on others.[p]My questions are:
direct or indirect??[p]Temp & how long??[p]I know it is hard to screw up thighs but I need expert advise...thanks[p]Kim Youngblood
(aka vidalia1)

Comments

• spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Options
    vidalia1,[p]So far I've only done chicken breasts and chicken thigh/leg combos on the BGE. I did mine at 350 dome temp, indirect. It took a 2 to 3 hours if memory serves, I pulled the thighs at 185 and the breast at 165.[p]They were awesome. I pulled the skin back, applied Dizzy Dust underneath and put the skin back over. I then coated the skin in EVOO and more Dizzy Dust. TASTY. I ended up pulling all of my chicken and made some pretty good pulled chicken sandwhiches.[p]STL Scott
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    vidalia1,[p]I like to do thighs at 325-350 or so, indirect, until 180 internal.[p]Usually no more than an hour.
  • hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    I usually go indirect at 375 for 45 minutes or so (I always check chicken with a thermometer). I'm found of putting heavy smoke on them, too.

Hank
  • 9mar07-013.jpg
    <p />vidalia1,
    if you do a lot of thighs with the skin on, direct with no drip pan, watch out for flare-ups from all the drippings! heheh

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    vidalia1,
    i did some this weekend that were real good with very crunchy skin. 250 raised grid direct. nice easy cook that takes about 2 plus a little hours. thighs were about 200 internal and still on the moist side. i put a sage leaf under the skin and tsunami spin lightly on top. pulling the skin up a little before cooking and a low temp cook will make good crispy skin with these with no flairups or burning. i also did some in foil with sliced onion, some homemade meatsauce and some hot bbq sauce at the same time that came out real good. i cook thighs every weekend through the spring and summer and low and slow is the way to go with them. the foiled ones were something new to try, will be cooking them again

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    fishlessman,[p] I've been doing legs at the same temps. I found an old flour sifter at my Mom's house and have been using that for a real light cornstarch dusting.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    a guy i used to work with told me he used to do 5 or 6 hour chickens at 250 or so. the crispy skin was his reason. i thought he was nuts til i tried it. i went indirect though.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    vidalia1,
    Did some boneless on Sun. Indirect @ 250 for 90 min. They were great. Marinated overnight and shook Tsunami spin on them. I also grill them direct at 400, this takes about 20 min.
    Enjoy

• spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]I spy a Maudite! Mmmmmm, good beer. Was at an event at my local Wine Store, the company that sells that beer was there and told us the folklore behind the flying row boat.[p]Cool Stories and Good Beer.[p]STL Scott

• DSC_0083_1.jpg
    <p />spbull472,
    great stuff!

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    vidalia1,
    I did some good thighs the other day. Used the DP method for crunchy wings, only used thighs instead.[p] Aimed for 250 but cooked closer to 275, direct, raised grid. Flipped every 30 min. was done (over 165) in just over an hour.[p]

• swamprb
    swamprb Posts: 97
    Options
    vidalia1,
    I did a dozen Mojo marinated thighs indirect at 400* for 60 minutes, on the money!

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]If I cook chicken at these temps I get rubbery skin. Any idea why you get crispy skin and I do not? Are you cooking direct or indirect? I do indirect. I take my chicken to only 165 as per government recs. Might this be the difference. Any help is appreciated.[p]Win
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    100_1520.jpg
    <p />amini1,
    you get a better flow of hot air drying the skin with a direct setup, skip the platesetter, drip pan, thermal mass etc. the trick to avoid burning is to maximize the distance between the fire and food, raised grill and limit the amount of lump in the egg to a minimum to increase that distance. now for the cooking part, thighs dont dry out as quick as breastmeat so internal temps dont play as big of a part when cooking them, i cook them till they are crunchy and the internal will be somewhere between 190 and 200 degrees. when i cook thighs, there is only thighs in there, when i cook wings, just wings, when i cook breasts there is a whole bird in there. it helps to separate the skin from the thigh before cooking. this is a poor picture of last weekends cook, the 2 in front were the crispy ones, the 2 in back were from the foil. the dark spot on the skin is the sage leaf showing thru form underneath. when i first got the egg i found chicken to be a hard cook, it wasnt as good as from my old kettle, but its gotten alot better since, with the kettle the cook was fine around 325 to 350 for chicken, with the egg, the temps need to be low for thighs and wings and high for whole chickens, i almost always cook chicken direct

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brayon
    Brayon Posts: 24
    Options
  • amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thanks. I only cook skin-on split breasts. I'll try direct next time to see what I get. Time may be a factor as I don't want the meat to be above 165. I usually do 400, indirect and it turns out fairly well.[p]Win