Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting Eggs

Options
Idahoegger
Idahoegger Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have 2 Large BGE. What is the best way to transport these babies? Haven't built tables for them yet but figured I better get some advice before I do. Looking for some idea as to what to build since I am going to be transporting them frequently

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    pitmeister,
    Build a table with some good wheels on it. The Naked Whiz has a nice collection on his site at nakedwhiz.com[p]

• pitmeister,
    if "transport" means moving your eggs further than across the deck, like to a cookout at your mother's house or to a competition, then you'll need a cart that is somewhat different from the ones that other eggers have built. those are primarily for use on your deck--and the carts normally include lots of counter space next to the egg for preparation.[p]if i were going to transport in a pickup or a trailer, then i think i'd sacrifice the preparation space for moveability, and make the cart not much bigger than needed to hold the egg. i would put large stationary wheels on one end, and smaller "caster" wheels on the other end. on the "casters" end i would extend the front and back side rails about a foot so as to serve as handles (same general idea as weber has done on the genesis series gas grills). then if loading into a pickup i would get a set of ramps (or a set of ramp ends that are made to fit on 2X10's that you supply) so you can wheel it up into the bed of the pickup. once in the bed you'll need to fashion a bracket that attaches firmly to the tie-downs inside your bed that will brace the cart into one of the corners of the bed--preferably the front corner, where the ride will be smoother and the bullwhip effect of going over bumps will be minimized. also, even tho the lid is plenty heavy, i'd tie it down to make sure it doesn't flop open and closed. one good bump and you may crack either the top or the bottom of the egg.[p]good luck and enjoy your eggs.

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    pitmeister,[p]You can use a strap like device called a Potlifter [p]Many people on this forum recommend it. [p][p]
    [ul][li]POTLIFTER FOR TRANSPORTING EGGS[/ul]
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.