Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Andouille Sausage

Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up some fresh andouille sausage yesterday at the butcher shop.[p]The question is, what to do with them. Any recipes or ideas to make the best use of them on the egg?[p]I normally would make gumbo or red beans and rice with it, but I might want to 'Eggify' them.

Comments

• Fidel,
    That's good stuff. Especially in Gumbo or Jambalya.[p]Try slow cooking it like a fattie and make some hot links.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    Fidel,
    have you egged the gumbo. this is chef wils technique, good stuff. ive poured it over rice, pancakes for breakfast, and even made pies with it.

[ul][li]gumbo[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Fidel,
    This is a great recipe cooked on the egg and the andouille will be good in it.You really put everything raw in the pot at one time.Most bags of rice are 2 pounds and this only calls for 1 pound.I made that mistake and I had to add alot of liquid and get a bigger pot.
    Larry[p] [p]
    Couzan Billy's Jambalaya recipe
    From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ Guru[p]I know there are many Jamba recipes out there. This one is unique in that you throw everything into the pot and cook. No making a roux, no browning the meat, no cooking the rice. It is ideal for doing on the grill. Matter of fact, I cook this for Friday night supper at the cook-offs! This recipe I adapted from one given to me by my good friend Bill Conklin…Couzan Bill, a real Cajun![p]1 pound converted rice, uncooked
    1 can French onion soup
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1/4 pound butter, cut into pieces
    1 cup onions, chopped
    1/2 cup green onion, minced
    1 small green pepper, diced
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon crab boil
    2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
    2 tablespoons Tabasco
    1 pound smoked sausage
    1 pound crawfish tails (or shrimp)
    3 pieces chicken breasts, cubed
    2 to 3 cups chicken stock[p]Heat oven to 350 degrees F or simply place pot on the grill.[p]Combine everything in a 5-quart ovenproof pot. Start with 2 cups of chicken stock. Mix well. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours or longer.[p]You may add more chicken stock based on the consistency you want.[p]Stir before serving. Keeps well.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Fidel:[p]The best smoked andouille I have found around the metro area is at Wilkes Supermarket in Forsyth County. They are in the little community of Matt at 5515 Bannister Road north of Cumming. It is a hike, but worth a visit for bulk purchases. Their product is made and smoked on site and is an added treat to any recipe it is used in.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    djm5x9,[p]Guess where I got mine? Wilkes in Suwanee on PIB.[p]Thanks for the tip though. I buy it there a lot, but always for gumbo or red beans. Just looking for something different to do.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Fidel:[p]Is their andouille smoked?