Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moisture in Temperature gauge

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a relatively new BGE (2 months) and lately I'm seeing moisture building up inside the temperature gauge in the lid. I normally have my BGE covered when I'm not using it. Is this a faulty gauge?[p]TX for all replies

Comments

• DickO,[p]From what I've seen here, I think all thermometers eventually develop problems with moisture. It's a topic that's been covered many times, so I won't go into details (search the archives). However, if your thermometer has a plastic, as opposed to glass, top then I'd consider taking it back to the dealer for a replacement. Thermometers are NOT covered under the warranty but if you've got a nice dealer (like mine) they'll replace it. Not sure what rocket scientist thought to put a plastic cover on an item which gets hot - duh. Too bad Mr. Rogers retired: "Can we say 'plastic melts' boys and girls?"[p]Kelly
    Ribletts cooking tonight!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    therm1.jpg
    <p />DickO,[p]It won't ever not leak again so you had better decide what new one you want to get. If it's a plastic lens one - like the one in the photo which is fogged- added a spacer under them is very important or the lens warps from high heat. Once warped - it leaks.[p]If yours is glass, then adding a clip can also help since I have seen steam exit the little hole the thermo goes through and it fogged my thermometer. It just seems to help to add that spapcer - many kinds work.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,[p]TX for the Info. Do you have a particular brand of heat gauge that works well that you would recommend?[p]****