Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polder problem - ladys help needed!

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok ladies, this is directed at you. Yesterday while shopping with my wife at the local BJ's (liek Sam's or Cosco)I saw the new Polder thermometer. Ahhhh, and only $18.95. I tossed it into the cart and my wife opened up with a shot across the bow. "Do you really need that"? When it wasn't removed from the cart she fired a direct round in my direction, "You have enough of those - you have 8 thermometers now". I missfired with, "yea, but this one has new features". The gun battle went on for a few more vollies and then she wheeled the cart away as the victor. My new Polder remains on that shelf to this day!![p]Now ladies, what can be said to defend (in the female mind) a ninth thermometer and the third in two months??[p]Tim

Comments

• Kamper
    Kamper Posts: 41
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I'm not a lady, but speaking on behalf of the guys (like me) who have been banned from the Craftsman tool department at Sears (Hey, I hade to get a one item, 15 minute waiver to get a new shop vac filter) I suggest the following approach:[p]"Yes dear, you're correct. How foolish of me, and thank you for looking out for mutual long term financial interest."[p]My bet is she will be so taken aback, SHE'LL buy the new Polder.[p]As the Brits say: "Hit first; hit hard; and keep on hitting." Get 'em tiger!!!!!!!!

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Try acknowledging the obvious. Of course you don't NEED it, but you WANT it. Like the [fill in the blank: new shoes, lipstick, scarf, whatever) she bought herself recently.[p]If that doesn't work, point out how she lucky she is that her husband's hobby involves cooking dinner so she doesn't have to. And/or that other men collect far more expensive and less practical trinkets - race cars, guns, model airplanes, etc. [p]I bet she rushes out & buys you that Polder herself. ;-}[p]Good luck -[p]Cathy[p]PS What new features?? I want, uh, need one.

• Tim M
    Options
    Kamper,[p]""Yes dear, you're correct. How foolish of me, and thank you for looking out for mutual long term financial
    interest.""[p]I have tried the fake sympathy move - my bride doesn't fall for it anymore. My wife won't even go into Sears because she knows I will buy a tool if I go in there with her. No, this is going to take a new tactic.[p]Tim

• Tim M
    Options
    Cat,[p]Yea, that might work - she has a tennis shoe fettish! Heck, she just got back from a week cruise though Hawaii. If you see a posted picture of the new Polder - you will know I won. [p]Tim - maybe I could photograph it on the shelf to save face
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Carol and I have an agreement. For each 10 tubes of lipstick or pairs of pierced earrings/shoes (or any combination of the three), I get to buy myself another toy.
    Works for me.[p]K~G

• Tim M,[p]Just go on a stealth mission and buy the darn thing. If you already have 8, it should just blend in with the others. Rub some ash on it so it looks used and Voila! Just make sure you put the receipts in your wallet and the packaging with stuff she won't go through (my wife refuses to go anywhere near my beer stuff).[p]Heh-Heh-Heh...[p]-Jobu
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Tim M,
    Well! The very IDEA of balking at a New Tool. Jim (husband) is renovating our house (one inch at a time, I'm sorry to say) and he's also rebuilding a 1950 Chevy pickup truck. I NEVER question his buying any tool. Or any musical instrument, for that matter. Although, come to think of it, last night he did mention that he'd like to take up the bagpipes and my response was just slightly less than wildly enthusiastic. And Jim has never batted an eye at my requests for kitchen tools; consequently, he's by far the best-fed guy in town. That's his observation, anyway. [p]Remember, this is life. It isn't a rehearsal. Why put things off when you can benefit from the joy of discovery today? And if your house resembles Thermometers R Us, have a yard sale![p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Clean the house, rake and mow the yard, give the kids a bath and put them to bed, dust, wash the dog and the cars (this can be done at the same time), clean out the garage, paint the back porch, wash the windows, weed the garden, and fix the closet door. If you get all of this done before noon, then you MIGHT be able to LOOK at one at the store. The honey doo list is a LOT bigger if you actually want to BUY one.[p]Troy
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Kamper,[p]first of all, get better tools than craftsmen. i've burnt out several craftsmen before I finally got wise and started buying the good stuff. [p]I think Cat's approach is best. She's won (you've acknowledged it's not a need thing, it's a toy, but a fairly harmless fetish), but she really does want you happy too. Pretty good price for one too, especially considering how fragile they are, and then you can have your toy, and it makes you happy. not bad for $18.95. Me? I want to see a pic of your entire collection - in a row. I thought I was bad with the thermometers.[p]Mary
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    I can't imagine having a man around who is satisfied with a $20 toy! Even at 5 a month, you're cruising around a hundred bucks. Hah. The ones I've had around average toys in the 50K range! You're a steal, Tim!
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Tim M,
    Top Ten Excuse to Buy a New Thermometer:
    1. Ooooppps, how did that get there?
    2. Honey, aren’t these boiled hot dogs really great?
    3. But the Forum will laugh at me, if I don’t buy one.
    4. Hey, look over there.
    5. It followed my home. Can I keep it?
    6. The neighbors’ wombat ate my Polder. Now what am I supposed to do?
    7. Come on, they are really making fun of me now.
    8. Did I mention that the new thermometer came with a dozen roses?
    9. You said the same thing about the Egg before I bought it.
    10. It is far easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Bama Fire
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    As a soon to be Husband, I am taking notes.... I hope my bride is reading this![p]B~F

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Tim M,
    SO WHAT ARE YOU DOING, TAKING HER TO THE STORE ANYWAY? SOUNDS LIKE A CLASSIC CASE OF POLDER ENVY.

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Tim M,
    You must buy her jewelry, it goes along ways toward
    being able to keep your hobbies growing.[p]

• Teslamania
    Options
    Tim M,[p]You could always throw out the "bad" ones, so that you need it as a replacement. You could point out that the new and better polder will enable you to make her favorite dish on the EGG even more delicious than before. By the way, let me know what works for you!

• Randman
    Options
    Tim M, I've found the Whine-A-Lot technique works pretty well if enough people are around to embarass.

• Don't let her have a vote. Do you get to vote when she wants a new blade for her lawn mower or a new spool for her weed-eater?