Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter

Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a new plate setter for my birthday. I have a large BGE. I dont think they sent me the right size. Can someone post a pic of theres inside of there egg so I can compare.[p]Thanks
Tom

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Tom,it's right here on the BGE board[p]http://BigGreenEgg.com/whatsNew.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tom
    RRP,

Ok thanks I could not find it.[p]They sent me the wrong one then. Mine isnt that big. Thats the one I wanted in the picture.[p]Tom

• Tom,[p] Then that's definitely news. At last count, I was pretty sure they only had one size. Do me a favor and measure it for me so I can compare it to the one i've got.[p]MikeO[p]PS When I measure from the outside of one of the feet to the opposite side (onthe interior circle on a diameter from the outside of the foot), I get 15.25" Whole thing looks to be about 17" in diameter . . .
  • Tom
    MikeO,[p]From one outside corner to another its allmost 17 inches[p]Wonder why they sent me the old style. I wanted the new bigger one. Anyone ever have to return anything to the bge store in atlanta?[p]Tom
  • Tom,[p] I'm still confused. Your sounds like it is about the same size as mine and mine works. I didn't know they changed it. Have you heard specific info about two different sizes?[p]MikeO
  • Tom
    MikeO,
    Look at this one at the bottom of this page.[p]http://biggreenegg.com/whatsNew.html

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Tom,
    I measured mine, feet down, measured from the outside of one foot straight across the center. 15 inches even.
    I got the same measurement from all three feet.
    New Bob

• Tom
    New Bob,
    But this new one is bigger right? It extends all the way to the edges of the egg and sits will on the firebox. The one I have requires a grill underneath it to sit properly.[p]http://biggreenegg.com/whatsNew.html

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Tom,
    It was my understanding that there was only one size plate setter..and that was for the LARGE BGE...[p]Wess

• Tom
    WessB,[p]"We took the standard plate setter and modified it expressly for the large Big Green Egg. The legs have been extended to fit pefectly on the fire ring. "[p]Mine that I got does not do this.
    Tell me if Im wrong before I call tommorrow.[p]Tom

• WessB
    Tom,
    I assumed you had a "BGE" plate setter if thats not the case then there could be problems with the fit as a plate setter is a kiln tool used by many ceramic companies...but when I stated one size..I meant one size put out by BGE..sorry if there was any confusion....my BGE setter fits my large egg perfectly[p]Wess

• Tom
    WessB,
    Mine came from the BGE store in atlanta. Obviously the one I have is before the new one came out.[p]Mine does not fit snuggly in the egg it leaves gaps allaround the edges and has to sit on a grill. The one in the picture on the BGE site shows it clearly sitting on the fire ring. [p]Tom

• Tom
    Tom,[p]Ok maybe Im wrong, Im confused now. What was the change in the platesetters. How do I know I got one of the new ones advertised on the whats new page and not one of the old standard ones?[p]Tom
  • WessB
    Tom,
    Mine does not fit "snuggly" to the outside of the Egg but it does sit on the fire ring...when we were at Eggfest I believe it was JJ that had one of the original ones..and it to also sat on the fire ring....if yours does not sit on the fire ring without a grid or grate being present something is wrong and I would ask for a replacement...hope this helps..[p]Wess

• Tom,[p]You got the old one. Call and get a replacement. The new plate setter fits snug to the firebox. The old one did not. With the new, you can get a nice indirect setup without needing a second grid. [p]Kevin
  • Tom,[p] That's what I have. As far as I know it's the only one they make. When they say "we've modified the traditional plate setter for the BGE", they mean it in the abstract, not that they had an old version that didn't fit . . . Does yours not sit on the fire ring well?[p]MikeO
  • Tom
    Kevin D,[p]Thats what I thought.[p]Thanks for the help.[p]Tom
  • Tom
    WessB,[p]Ok I went and looked at it again. It does sit on the firering but not as snug as the picture of the new one does.
    I believe the sent me one of the old models. I will call em tommorrow and get a replacement.[p]Tom

• Tom
    MikeO,[p]It sits on there but its right on the edge of the firering.
    The one in the picture appears to fit much more snug. I could be wrong. Some pictures of the new and the old would be greatly appreciated.[p]Tom

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Tom, you have the right one...none of them fit snuggly! Hey, on my medium BGE the fire ring has a 1" to 1.25" gap with the outer shell and I too posted a question about this "weird" fit, as that's not true with the fit of my large or my small. Several posted that there is no need to get alarmed - guess what? they were right! Relax and enjoy the use of your plate sitter...I know I will be using mine for pizza this Saturday night! Yummmmmmmmm!
    email me if I can be of further help!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WessB
    Tom,
    dont know if this will help or not...but it`s from Tim M`s site...

[ul][li]Plate setter[/ul]
  • Tom
    tom.jpg
    <p />Ok guys you tell me, Is this one the new one?[p]Tom
  • WessB
    Tom,
    I see no problems with yours from what mine looks like and the others I have seen..and I don`t see where you would need to use your grid to support it...IMO[p]Wess

• Tom
    RRP,[p]I wish I read your post earlier. [p]I just appears that it shold fit against the edges. Dont ya think?[p]Tom
  • Tom
    WessB,[p]Your right. I just was expecting more snug fit. I assumed the new one they advertised was different than the one I got today. [p]Was the one they replaced much smaller?[p]Tom

• WessB
    Tom,
    Not to my knowledge...bear in mind that we are talking about ceramic pieces which come out of molds and are then fired in a kiln...I very seriuosly doube ANY 2 are exactly alike...and this is also true with every firebox and fire ring..if you can use it legs up and legs down without using your grate...I personally wouldn`t worry...if it will sit on the fire ring you are fine[p]Wess

• Tom,[p]Based on your picture, that's the new one. Congrats. Get the pizza stone to go on top and you'll enjoy incredible pizza.[p]Kevin
  • Tom
    Kevin D,[p]Got that for my bday too.[p]Tom
  • View?u=141579&a=9609961&p=54113455
    <p />Tom,[p] Here's mine (brought to you through the wonderful lens of my brand new digital camera (with twice the pixels of the old digital camera!)). Not in the best focus (it's pretty darn dark out in the yard) but hopefully you'll appreciate the picture as much as the mosquitos are appreciating my blood! As you can see, mine fits just barely when it is pushed all the way to one side. However, it won't fall in. Could be a bit wider, but it works . . .[p]MikeO
  • WessB
    MikeO,
    great pics...I`m sure that will clear things up...[p]NIGHT[p]God Bless[p]Wess