Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg vs Grill

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy. I was looking online for a half charcoal half gas grill on sale at lowes for like $300. What's the advantage to an egg? What is the best place to buy one?[p]I cook steaks or burgers with no problem on charcoal but cooking chicken kind of sucks as the temperature can be hard to maintain. That's why I was thinking gas. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Options
    Fred Bedoink, get an egg you will not regret it, I bought a new gasser last year and will not use it unless I have to .

• spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,[p]The Egg has no issue maintaining temps, it's just crazy how easy it is to maintain a temp. The key is to watch your fire in the beginning, make sure your lump is well lit. Close the lid and pay attention to your dome temp. Usually, when I get within 20 degrees or so of my goal temp I start to slowly close down my vents. Once I hit my target, I close down a little more. I will watch for 15-30 minutes just to make sure I've locked on. Once I have, I'm good to go at that temp for a long time![p]STL Scott

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,
    you'll get a lot of responses... but here's something specific re: chicken.[p]you CANNOT get it to flare up. the egg is airtight. with the dome closed, and feeding oxygen from below, the fat from chicken cannot ignite.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,[p]Get an Egg as it is SIMPLE to control temps. I am legally blind and it is simple for me and MUCH safer than gas (IMO).[p]If you ever make Spatchcock Chicken on the Egg, you may never cook chicken any other way![p]You will not regret the purchase of your Egg, or should I say Eggs as you will love it so much you will want at least one more![p]Joey[p]The link below is from The Naked Whiz'a site. I highly recommend you reading his site as you will learn very valueable information about ceramic cooking and lump charcoal as well as more great stuff.[p](Here you go in case link doesn't work)[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm[p][p]
    [ul][li]Spatchcock Chicken [/ul]
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,
    I decided on the Egg because I loved the flavor of charcoal cooking, but I wanted something that wouldn't require adding more charcoal every couple of hours for longer cooks (ribs, pork butts, briskets, etc.) The Egg takes a bit of a learning curve, but then you'll be amazed at how easily you can hold the same temp (+ or - 10 degrees) for many hours! Heck, I've cooked for 20 hours on one load of charcoal! [p]Chicken is one of the things that best shows the difference between the Egg and other grills. Heck, my first chicken was so ridiculously moist that my family now asks me to deliberately overcook it (they still can't believe anything that juicy could possibly be done!)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    100_1114.jpg
    <p />Fred Bedoink,
    i have a 7k dollar lacanche oven in the house, the egg controls temps more accuratly that that oven, try throwing a couple of ducks on a gas grill and your in for a nice grease fire, these ducks cooked at about 250 degrees plus or minus 5 degrees in the egg directly over lump for about 5 hours. nice crispy skin, no charring. if you buy that gasser now, in time you will probably break down and buy an egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    fishlessman,
    We have two ducks in the freezer, and will do one on Friday. My question is did you cook the duck whole, or cut it up first. Thanks, we can hardly wait to eat the bird. Willie

• stike
    Options
    fishlessman,
    so, ahhh...
    how's your colon? judging by the amount of rice, looks like the doc suggested some fiber in your diet. [p]dude. i like rice, my wife likes rice, most people like rice. but that there is a sh!tload of rice.

• Crawdaddy
    Options
    fishlessman,
    That duck looks incredible. How did you position the drip pan cooking directly?

• stike, and that's just HIS plate!!!

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    sgmore, OOPS!! Had something in my i.

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    fishlessman,
    man that is one giant plate of food.....did you go back for seconds?[p]LOL[p]Jan

• Eggtuary,[p]'they still can't believe anything that juicy could possibly be done![p]Now that is funny... [p]my wife is always saying this great but I don't think it is quite done. [p]I have use internal temp on everything so far and it is always taken off between med & med rare, then there is the
    cooking while resting.[p]BBQ grill doesn't come close and my expensive gas water smoker (now outdoor flower pot holder)doesn't cook this moist.[p]gotta love the egg...[p]kent

• stike
    Options
    Crawdaddy,
    um...
    there is no drip pan when cooking directly.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Willie,
    i cooked those whole and i think they were stuffed with some oranges. tried to search the archives for djm5x9 duck writeup but its not working for me right now. its the best way ive found to cook duck on the egg, think low and slow about 225 dome until the skin gets crispy on a raised grill direct, djm5x9 spatchcocks them.

fukahwee maine

• Crawdaddy
    Options
    stike,
    So how did you control the fat that ducks produce?

• fishlessman
    Options
    100_1113.jpg
    <p />Crawdaddy,
    with low cooking temps it doesnt seem to be a problem with a high grate and a half full or less firebox. try some direct cooks with chicken thighs on a raised grill for about 2 hours at 250 degrees and only have the lump up to the holes and you will see what i mean. for some reason you dont get that burning fat smoke taste like you would cooking at 300 to 375 degrees. the inside of the egg will get greasy during this cook but it doesnt affect the flavor of the food. check out the daisy after a duck cook, it gets basted with fat exiting the egg and look at the duck, no sooty smoked fat on the crispy skin, cant explain it, you just have to try it, try it with chicken thighs first and cook them til the skin gets crunchy, they will be in the 190 internal range, but somehow they still are moist and i dont know why.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,[p]why do they stay moist? Well I don't have the answer either, but I bet you it has something to do with the low temp. Its not where you go, with internal temperature, a lot of how the food turns out depends on how you get there... [p]Boneywasawarriorwayayix
  • Crawdaddy
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Thanks. I never would have thought this possible with the amount of fat ducks carry. That is some mighty good looking duck and I will try it this weekend.