Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg - Configuration?????

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After reading about the "Egg" for the last couple of years, I will be purchasing one within the next two weeks. I am planning on getting a large one. However, I am not sure what accessories to buy. I want to be able to control the heat. Can some of you make a "configuration" recommendation? The dealer is between 80 and 90 miles away and I want to make only one trip. Thanks.

Comments

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    MCM,
    Went 60 miles to get mine last month and it was well worth it. Well lets see, you need the egg, stand of some sort, thermometer and a bag of lump to start you off. Your going to want to use it the minute you get home. You can purchase fire bricks, a spare grill, a Polder thermometer, and a starter locally. I clean my egg witha small shop vac but uou might want to get the ash tool. Have the meat ready BEFORE you leave, ready for GRRRRRR.... ATE! ! ! COOKING MAC

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    MCM,[p]Congrats on your decision to buy and egg. I got mine as a christmas gift this year from santa, had been drooling over them for literally about 6 years. It was a surprise. I got a medium with the plain ceramic top and ash tool and cover, it works great out of the box. I would recommend a setup for indirect cooking ASAP, this being fire bricks and an extra grill.[p]Check out the link below, it was posted over the last week or so, see what others had to say on this same topic. Feel free to holler to the group all you want, this is not a brushoff at all. I think the link will answer most of your questions and if not, talk to us. Welcome.[p]Troy
    [ul][li]Recent Accessory Thread[/ul]
  • MCM,[p] Scroll down on the forum page and look for a similar thread. Also, this topic comes up frequently so an archive search will help, too. I'll quickly summarize what I'm putting together for an accessory FAQ:[p]Get the following right away on your trip:
    Dome temp thermometer (a must for obvious reasons), ash tool (not expensive and better than looking around the yard for a stick when you want to stir up the lump), grid lifter (not expensive and very convenient when you want to lift a hot piece of metal), slide/daisy top (unless you're very careful, you *will* break the ceramic top when you open the lid (gravity works)).[p]You'll want the following very soon: Something to hold your BGE (Egg Nest or a table -- BGE sells tables, or you can make your own based on the plans on the BGE website), a cover (can be for either the BGE by itself, or a cover for the whole table setup)[p]Optional if you want to spend the money: auto-lock hinge and bottom vent door upgrades. Not available when I got my BGE, but when my parts wear out, I'll switch to those.[p]That's about all you need from BGE for convenience and cooking direct. IMHO, the only other thing that's a must right away is a meat thermometer, but you can get one of those just about anywhere. If you want to cook indirect, you'll need some kind of ceramic mass (firebricks or pizza stone) a drip pan and some form of v-rack or extra grid. You can usually get this stuff locally. You also might want to get a BBQ book or two. The favorite on this forum seems to be Smoke and Spice. Lots of good ideas in there.[p]Hope this helps.[p]MikeO[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    MCM,[p]Check the link below and look for the New Users section[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE website/cookbook[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MCM, welcome to the forum and with all the great suggestions the decisions will be easy to make. Be sure and call your dealer well in advance of your trip to make sure he has your requirements. If he doesn't he should have, and he will have time to get his stock inventories up to date.
    ie: Thermometers, Pizza stones, dual purpose top caps or daisy/slider caps..ceramic top cap, outdoor covers, ect.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    MCM,
    Congrats. Let me take some of the heat off. All of the below is good advise. The most important item you can get is the BGE phone number. They will UPS anything you find you forgot, or decide later you need, to your doorstep. I guess it depends where you are, but they will ship the next day. [p]Bryan