Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what size(s) to get for husband?? Please help!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi there! I am planning on surprising my husband w/ an egg. I have done research and looked many times at them in the stores as well as talked to a friend that has one. What do y'all suggest? I was thinking of a lg and med. but now I am being told I should get an xl and either the med or lg. We do entertain however it is only us when we don't have company. I was told to cook multiple things at different temps you would need 2. I did look at all of them and the lg did seem sort of small. I am so confused and I need to get this ordered asap(and get the table plans finalized) so I can have it for next week. He is coming home from Iraq and I am so excited to surprise him!! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Wife, (ok, that's weird to type)

I'd just get a large and save some $$. I've easily served about 20 people with a large and it cooks for 2 just fine. My opinion is that the XL is for caterers or major party people. The medium might be ok, but I would bet you'd be looking for something a little larger before all was said and done. Get the large and see how it works for you, then add a small or medium later if you want.

Just my two cents. Good luck and welcome to Eggland.
  • wife,
    I have both a large and an xl and I would strongly suggest going with the large. The xl is nice but I have found the large to be way more useful. On top of that I have found that it is easier to cook things like turkeys on the large as well lump seems to last longer on the large.
    Just my humble opinion but I would go with the large hands down
    Best of luck he will love whichever you choose

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    wife,
    Get the Large and Small combo... I think you will find most on this site that have multiple eggs will agree that it is a perfect match.

• TheStormyDog,
    Thanks. So let me make sure I am understanding you correctly..go w/ both or just the large?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Good Eats,
    yep..

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • wife,
    lol...just the large to start

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    wife,
    Large and a small= great combo.The extra large will feed all of your neighbors.

• wife, I agree get the large. You can archive on this site where you will see 4-5 butts being cooked. A little planning and you can jack up the temp to do some potatoes veggies etc. Good Luck and enjoy.
    Also Thank You to you and your husband for helping our country at this time.
    Joe

• wife,[p]First thanks to your husband and you for your service to our country...[p]I am a new egger with a lg. There is my wife and I and at times we have our children & grand children.[p]The large is great for large get togetgers as well as just cooking for the wife and I.[p]We cooked burgers, hot dogs, brats, and and chicken for 24 people and the large was great for that event. Everything cooked at the same time, just pulled things at different time. A lot of food and there were no left overs either.[p]I am going to get one more egg, for the wife and I. , I am looking at a small or mini. Leaning towards the small at this point. (I have never bought a mini anything - I think it is a gut thing. More is always better).[p]My 2 cents worth is get the large, and the extras you want or you think you want. Use it then see what the second egg will be.[p]God be with your husband and family... and again thank you.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    stike,
    msg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• wife,
    No question. Get him the LGE. We have an LGE we have had for 10 years that I love. It lives at our beach house where we do the most of our entertaining. Our primary house is in the City, so room is at a premium. Our Son gave me a Medium for my birthday which lives in the City and for the two of us it is perfect. I have cooked meals for up to 8 folks (just the main course). Get him the LGE...he will be very pleased and will own it for many years.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    wife, as others have said, "Thanks". Now, I think a perfect combination is a XL and medium but ---, a large and small is a lot fewer dollars and offers almost the same functionality. I certainly think he will be thrilled with either combination.

• Wise One,
    I have the XL and thinking about a second egg. I was considering the medium and I'm just curious why you think this is the best combo?

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Crawdaddy, I should have added that I also have a mini. I like the medium because it's really not much bigger than the small but is much quicker to load and cook on than the large or XL. My mother has a small and it's good but I can do a pizza on my medium and I don't think I could do one on the small. Basically my thinking is that if you want a combo, get the second to be two sizes smaller than the your primary cooker. If I had a large, I'd get the small; if I had an XL I'd get the medium; if I had a medium, I'd get the mini. If the two or only one size apart, I think you would use the largest size all the time (except when you need two) because "there's not that much difference and I might just need that extra space"

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    wife,
    Large small is the way to go IMHO.[p]Thanks for loaning us your husband during his deployment, and thank him for his service.[p]

• bobinaz
    bobinaz Posts: 44
    wife,[p]First of all, I appreciate your husband's efforts for serving our country, and I acknowledge you for loving and supporting your soldier-boy hubby. NOW.. for the egg stuff.
    If you have the money..... and REALLY want to suprise him, and he REALLY likes to cook, bbq, grill, bake outdoors... get him BOTH a large and a small. BUT.... first... only give him the small.....then after he thanks you SO much.. break out the LARGE and see him light up even more.
    BUT.. if you only want to give him one...give hme the LARGE.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    wife,
    Thanks first for your husbands patriotism and service to our country! As far as the Egg goes... I would get the large BGE and if I had the extra money I would add a small. IF I could just have one it would be the large hands down. I have both theLarge and Small BGE. My Bachelor brother and my retired parents have a medium. My Sister and her husband have a large. Everyone in my family loves their eggs. The medium cooks great too but my Mom and Dad said they wish they had bought the large sometimes when the family gets together. My bachelor brother medium BGE suits his cooking needs incredibly well. HOpe this helps.
    ~Pharmeggist

• Wise One,
    Eggsellent advice! Thanks, you've helped me decide. Now, if I can only convince my wife why we need a second egg after getting the XL 2 weeks ago.