Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broke the rules barbecuing Ribeye's on my second cook

Options
49erFaithful
49erFaithful Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Rancher's Reserve Ribeye's (Bone in) were on sale at Von's Pavilion @ $5.99 per lb so I had the butcher cut five 2 inch steaks for me and some visiting friends. I couldn't bring myself to sear these babies on our electric stovetop so I cranked the egg up to 675 and crossed my fingers. (This was only the second cook on my egg) The grill gasket was unscathed but I managed to burn the hair off my left arm and wince in a less than manly manner when the state tile under the egg suddenly exploded at 675. I looked up for a falling Milwaukee's Best can, but I was safe. ;-)[p]The results of my gamble were some of the best steaks I've eaten and definitely the best I've ever cooked.[p]The Ribeye's were rubbed with EVOO, Raising the Steaks & Kosher salt, seared for 90 seconds per side at 675, rested for 15-20 minutes and finished 6 minutes per side at 350/375. [p]BTW - The ABTs with red and green jalapeno's, brown sugar and Dizzy Dust were a hit. The reds were used by some as a warm up for the greens. Unfortunately I was so busy barbecuing, drinking, visiting and watching football that I neglected to break out the camera to document the experience. I promise I'll make up for it next time. ;-)[p]
Good night![p]

Comments

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    49erFaithful,[p]Where is the broken rule???? Searing on the stove would've been the broken rule in my book....
    Paul

• currdog
    currdog Posts: 25
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    maybe its calling it "barbequing" at those temps.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    49erFaithful,
    Everytime I try that rancher cut meat it was never really good, real tasteless and tuff. I stopped using Vons/Pavil meats for some time now, just not as good, same with Ralphs. Sams is good and sometime Stater Bros and Albersons are goo in a pinch.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    49erFaithful,
    well if you didn't loose a gasket then all is well, as long as you know the consiquences [sp]. and as far as the hair on your arm goes well if you have any on your arm you are not eggin enough. LOL!!!!![p]
    happy eggin
    tb

[ul][li]flashback per naked whiz[/ul]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb