Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York Strips - Outside Burned, Inside Medium

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,[p]New Egger here -- and a bummed one at that. [p]First time doing steaks on my new large BGE (my ribs yesterday were a success and I was really looking forward to today). I followed the directions for steaks in the owner's manual that comes with the Egg. I had three New York strips, each 1 lb. and 2" thick. Some sea salt and black pepper rub, 30 minute wait, and on they went at 650 degress for three minutes. Turned 'em and seared again for 3 minutes. Then I turned 'em again and shut the Egg down. Four minutes later I did an internal temp check -- all of 127 degrees. And they're already getting crispy. So I shoot the moon and leave them on for another four minutes after running the dome temp back up to 500 degrees and shutting down. [p]The result of this outing is three steaks charred black on one side and a little more than rare -- but not quite medium -- inside after a five minute rest. I was shooting for medium-well.[p]I just realized that the book didn't specify what doneness you'd get after just 4 minutes after shutting down the Egg.[p]If any of my fellow Eggers can please help me figure out what I did wrong here I'd be very appreciative. If it helps, I am using BGE lump.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    XD45ACP,
    Click on the link below.... To cook the perfect steak on the BGE :=)

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm[/ul]
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    XD45ACP,
    Those steaks sound great--at least before the cook. Sorry you had problems. Most folks here use the T-Rex method, which is a 1 1/2 minute sear on each side. Then remove the steaks and shut down the egg and let it cool to 400 deg. or so. Then back on with the steaks to "roast" the innards to desired doneness. This really does work great. An instant-read thermometer is essential--at least in my hands--to getting the doneness just right. This method results in an even level of cook through and through, with sear only on the outside. Here is the Whiz's page on the TRex method.
    And one of the old standard lines to new eggers--use the book to start your fires, and learn how to cook with the egg here on the forum.
    Good luck.

[ul][li]Push this button for TRex Steaks[/ul]
  • uncbbq,[p]"Use the book to start your fires, and learn how to cook with the egg here on the forum."[p]HA! That laugh helped to improve my mood a bit. Or maybe it was those two shots of Patron.....[p]Thanks uncbbq. I've booked marked that page you sent. I've got one steak left and I'll give it a go this week. Appreciate the time you took to write.
  • Pharmeggist,[p]Thanks to you also. Guess I should have taken some more time to read through the forum first. But then, you'd never get any time to do some cookin'![p]Thanks again!
  • XD45ACP,
    Sometimes it's easy to make egging harder than it needs to be.
    Tonight, I did a rib eye that was 1.5" thick. I have these tiny little pieces of lump in my egg that don't even go up to the top lip of the firebox. But I'm tired of scooping these little bits out, so I stir them up to clear some air holes, pile most of it on one side of the egg, leave the rest of the ash and smallest pieces on the other side and light up the good side. Leave the lid up and the draft door open and 30 minutes later, I've got a decent fire. So, on goes this rib eye...I'm thinking 10 minutes a side because the temp is still pretty low and it's only a 1.5" thick steak. I go out after 5 minutes to twist it to try to get some cool cross-hatchings. Then go inside and wait for 5 minutes. I come back out and realize when I closed my egg I didn't open the daisy wheel. Look inside and it doesn't look good. In fact, the fire appeas to be out. So I close it and move the daisy wheel to the side. Just to see what happens. Head back in and lose track of time. The only thing that made me remember my steak was the smell of smoke. I look outside and there's a good amount of smoke coming from the top...so I jump, curse, grab the tongs and head out and flip, prepared for the worst. To my delight, just a nice dark color from the Cowlick I was using. I think I had left it for about 10 minutes so it's now been on the grill for a total of 15 minutes. the dome temp reads 500 degrees (which is an absolute shock given the state of the lump I was using). So I flip and leave it on for another 4 minutes. Off she comes...rests...not under foil...I cut into it and it's a perfect medium - medium rare.[p]The moral of this story is, TREX works...but don't make egging too difficult. 400-500 degrees no matter the cut of steak, for 5-8 minutes a side, depending on thickness. With steak, err on the rare side.[p]I've done my share of difficult, technical cooks, but that's the beauty of the egg...generally, as long as you don't scorch the heck out of it (which is why I don't play with the high temps too often), you're going to get great food even if you have to leave it on a little longer than you originally thought.[p]Now, chicken, that's a who nother story. I am so thankful I have my thermopen and that I like thighs as much or more than breasts...at least in chicken. I kill me.[p]Did this make any sense? Where's my drink?[p]

• mukl,[p]This made perfect sense, thanks for the info. My third shot of Patron is to you! (I don't think I'm gonna make it into work tomorrow! ;)[p]i just finished reading the TREX post from y'all and realize that had I put the temp about 100 degrees lower and left it on a couple of more minutes things might have turned out differently.[p]I really appreciate your take on things mukl. Thanks for posting!
  • Just wanted to thank all of you who've posted here tonight. As bummed as I was about tonight's meal it's been great getting so many quick replys and advice on what went wrong and what to do next. This is really a great community![p]I think my expectations were maybe a little too high after reading so many good (and deserved) things about the Egg (not to mention my fantastic ribs I did on Saturday!). While it's an awsome cooker there's still a great deal of art that goes into it and I have to accept the fact that it's going to take some time to "dial it in" to get consistent results. Oh well...half the fun is in the journey, right?[p]I'm doing a shot of Patron Silver in honor of everyone that posts before midnight PST tonight, so if you want to "help me out" offer up some more good advice on how not to turn New York strips into lump charcoal.[p]Aim true!
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    XD45ACP - To All Who Posted,
    I did the tequila in mango margaritas last night, will a shot of single malt scotch qualify tonight? LOL

• Richard,[p]Only if you did at least 4, because you just made it 4 for me tonight!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    XD45ACP
    try hot-tubbing them too.[p]airless ziploc bag and submerged in the hottest tap water you can muster. change the water once or so, and in twenty minutes (akin to the rest period of a Trex steak) the interior temp is maybe 90-100.[p]toss it on and sear to your likely. if they are very thick, you can drop temps and roast.[p]i don't like ever completely shutting the vents with steaks in there, because the fattier ones (ribeyes) will still render fat into the coals, and that lo-oxygen burning is more like a sooty/fatty smolder. bad smoke.... and that bad smoke stays in the dome and bathes the steak.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p]Hmmm...one more thing to try! The fat part makes sense, so I think I'll try leaving the vent open some as long as I can maintain the temp around 400 per TREX. [p]Thanks for the tip to warming the steaks up. I'd never have thought of this!

• Pharmeggist,[p]The other thing I did wrong was to throw a bunch of soaked wood chips over 650 degree coals. The result was acrid black smoke, and the wood chips were ash before I knew it. As TREX points out, using wood CHUNKS at these temperatures is necessary to provide the necessary smoke and avoid the quick burnoff.[p]Off to Barbeques Galore for chunks!