Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Success -- thanks for advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, I have changed my name because others had the same name and there was some confusion.[p]Now, THANKS to BahaTom and Eggin in Peoria for pizza cooking advice. [p]Here is the outcome -- at least one of them!! It took a couple of tries to figure out how to get the pie on the stone without a peel. I was determined to use that new stone!! I found that a flat baking sheet with cornmeal makes an acceptable peel. [p]DSC00576.jpg[p]This was the third one -- I obviously need practice with getting a better shape, but when you begin eating, you forget what it looked like before being cut!! [p]The family really enjoyed them. We fixed six total on the large BGE and one in the oven. When everyone left, we had half of the one from the oven and only a couple of pieces from all six fixed on the BGE!! [p]I found that 500-550 resulted in a crust more like what we wanted. [p]Thanks again to BahaTom and Eggin in Peoria for your tips!! [p]I plan to pick up a pizza wheel this week...

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    KYGran (formerly Mary),[p]Very nice. I use a flat cookie sheet as well. I use the parchment paper to transfer the pie to the stone then pull the paper out after 3-4 minutes with a quick tug.[p]I'll end up with a peel because I love making pizza on the egg. I usually cook mine at 575-600. Be careful - they are strangely addictive.
  • KYGran
    KYGran Posts: 18
    Options
    Fidel,
    We learned that just last night. My daughter and daughter-in-law both said they didn't care for the slight smoke taste of the first pizza and decided to put one in the oven. By the time that one was finished, we had two more off the BGE and they were converts!! According to them, "This really grows on you." By the end of the meal, both decided the BGE version was superior to the oven one!

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    KYGran,
    glad it worked out. a peel works nicely even with the parchment paper tip. Good luck on your next pizza experience.