Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Enok
Enok Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to egg my first Boston Butt. Should I first lather is with mustard?[p]I plan to use JJ's rub and dipping sauce.
The recipe does not mention mustard but it was just a qustion that I had.[p]Thanks[p]enok

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Enok,[p]Mustard rubs became popular after many of the recipes were added. One problem here is that once the recipes get posted - they never get updated if better ways show up. I could site several but won't here. [p]Mustard, or rather the vinegar in it, is the worker your after. It seems to tenderize the meat and when cooked it provides a nice crust -- no mustard taste either!! I prefer to use the rub and then the mustard after atleast 3-4 hrs. Otherwise the rub doesn't get into the meat and just floats on the mustard. Since the rub often has sugar and the only reason for sugar is for it to burn and provide a crust, using them together is going to be a trade off.[p]Tim
  • Enok,
    Apply the rub first than the mustard.
    fireball

• Enok
    Tim M,
    Thank you for the wise words. I appreciate it.

• Enok
    Fireball,
    Thank you for the info. Two of you gave me the same goos info.[p]enok

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Enok,
    In order to be fair, I must admit that I hate the
    sight and smell of mustard. Having said that, I have
    tried mustard slathers of butts and such and find that,
    in my opinion, nothing of value is added. To me, there
    is no difference with or without mustard. For what it's
    worth...[p]Chuck

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    GaDawg:[p]With a butt done indirect that may be the case. My experience with mustard slathered butts cooked direct is they develop a nice exterior bark.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    djm5x9,[p]When you cook 'em direct, are you letting all the grease fall into the fire? I've tried it a couple times on the egg but had trouble with the fire control. I was thinking that a smaller drip pan centered under the butt would catch some of the dripping and make fire control easier. [p]Zip

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Zip:[p]I cook them direct at 200º in a well preheated cooker. I do not have fire control problems.