Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken in Austin American Statesman

Sneezix
Sneezix Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There's an article on spatchcock chickens in today's
Austin American-Statesman.[p]No mention of the perfect way to cook them (i.e. Egging), though.[p]

[ul][li]article[/ul]

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    sneezix,[p]Thanks! Going to grab paper now![p]Hey, please send me your email addy - I'm trying to form a list of local eggheads.[p]Thanks,
    Jeeves

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    just read this article. can someone please share with a newbster how to do this on the egg? i just purchased a large egg this weekend and thought it might be an interesting cook.[p]thanks for the help and great forum posts. [p]
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    sneezix, I did a spatchcock class at the texas eggfest this year.....word must be getting out...LOL! T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    woo2chicken.jpg
    <p />mike, Weber's virtual bullet website has a video on the how to spatchcock the bird, I believe. I put rub under the skin, salt too if no salt in the rub.I cook 'em raised grid, initially direct, 350-400 degrees, starting skin side down, flip after 10 minutes or so (looking for skin to brown) and monitor for the next 60 to 70 minutes. [p]100_0089.jpg[p]I'll go indirect if the bird is burning. About 45 minutes into the cook, the skin should start to sizzle, rendering the fat. Chicken is done at 160 internal temp. I go a bit higher. A chunk of wood for smoke is good too. Tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    mike,

I glanced over the article and stopped when it rang a bell as I saw Alton Brown cooking a bird using the same method!

He used a cornish hen, but it appears to be the same principle.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_35977,00.html

His calls for 500 degree (grill temp), which you can do on the egg. You can probably get away with a lower temperature. Cooking time will vary, depending on the size of the bird. This is when the trusty, fast, accurate, Thermapen comes in - check peiodically until the internal temp comes to about 170°F.

The Big Green Egg offers one that is like the thermapen, but it's not as fast or accurate. If you take a look at some of the food shows, eggfest pictures, you'll see Thermapens in use (they come in a variety of colors).

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

-Jeeves
  • mike
    mike Posts: 152
    tjv ,
    thanks tom.

• Sneezix
    Sneezix Posts: 40
    tjv,[p]Yup, I was there. :-)