Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much smoking wood is too much?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought some pecan chunks that are as big as my fist. More like tiny logs, really. I have one in Humpty right now smoking a turkey but I am now concerned there might be *too much* smoke over the course of the cook. Should I pull out the (now burning) pecan chunk after the first hour or so to make sure the bird doesn't taste bitter?[p]Thanks,
Skooter

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Skooter, matter of taste of course but last night I cooked a 7# turkey breast and used 4 good hand fulls of apple chips and we thought it was one of my best yet. If you're scared go ahead and remove now, but I can't see that one large piece will ruin it and certainly not make it bitter. Good luck.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Skooter,
    It has been my experience that a little smoke goes a long way, the charcoal it self has alot of smoke quality. Personely I would be very conservative with the smoke.
    Mark [p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Skooter,
    You just got 2 views concerning smoke. Which one is right?
    Both are, smoke flavor is a personal choice, experiment to achieve the right taste for you and your family.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    JJ,
    I second this thought. The amount of smoke you want depends on the folks eating. Gauge it the same you do spices. Some like it hot, others don't. Personally, I'd go with the heavier amount of smoke on this cook, then if all agree it's too much, back off next cook. Easier to reduce next time.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Skooter, the best reason to pull the chunks out after an hour is to save them for the next time. The smoke is not going to have much of an effect after the first hour or so, If you want to maximize the smoke, chill the meat in the freezer for 30 minutes prior to cooking, put several good size pieces of smoking wood on the fire and keep the temperature rather low (250 or so) for the first hour or so. You can lower the effect of the smoke by using smaller pieces of wood, higher cooking temperatures and start the meat out at room temperature.