Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Contests

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Entered my first BBQ contest last year, only entered for the pork shoulder and got 2nd. I was pumped, and now this year I want to enter again and do more, like all of them (chix, butt, brisket and ribs) Has anyone ever entered a contest and used only one large egg? I am thinking that the butt takes the longest and I can start that and the brisket with the brsiket being done eary int he morning leaving time enough to do ribs and chix. Its crazy ambitious but I am going to test it here this weekend, but want to know if anyone else has tried it? Successfully. I am afraid my quality with slip though and buying another $700 egg is is not an option. Advance, tips and or pics are aprpeciated.

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    ColoradoTonka,
    Eggtuary has. He built Old Dave's rig.[p]I used that rig to do two butts and a brisket in our first comp. I had a friends large to do the ribs on and my small for the chicken so it was a lot easier. [p]You can do it on one large but timeing is very important.[p]Here is a picture of camp Huff[p]campHuff.jpg

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    ColoradoTonka,
    The problem is if your ribs are going to take lets say 5-6 hours, your butts and/or brisket will need to come off the large around 6am at the latest to make room for the ribs. Now, you will need to keep both of them for 7 hours in a cooler wrapped up. By then the temp will probably have dropped under 140.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    ColoradoTonka,
    I know of a few people who have done a whole contest on one EGG but it requires tight timing and a solid way to hold the big cuts for quite a while.[p]If you're wanting to compete in the pro category you'll be laughing about your desire to not spend $700 in just a couple of seasons.

• ColoradoTonka,[p]It is not as hard as you think to do a contest on just one large Egg. I helped Mike Stone with some information on how to do it a couple of years ago on one large Egg and he finished quite well in his first contest. You need to have good timing and also a good 5 day cooler as you will need to hold your some of your meat for about 7-8 hours. If Mike doesn't get with you on his method of doing this, drop me a note and I will give you a hand with a contest. [p]Dave[p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    coolergraph.gif
    <p />Buster Dog BBQ,
    In my experiment, using an ordinary cooler and a single butt with no prewarming of the cooler, My butt was down to 132 degrees after 7 hours. At that point it had been below 140 degrees for about 90 minutes. So, in theory, that would still be plenty safe to eat.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Bobby-Q,[p] What ever are you talking about??? HAHAHAHA[p]I didn't spend $700.00... more like $4500.00, but I did win a $100.00[p]
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Celtic Wolf,and the question we ask ourselves ever contest, "Why do we do this?" Don't believe I'll ever break even but we keep trying.[p]Good Eggin'
    Poppasam

• Poppasam,[p] Meeting good friends and sharing good food with others. [p]Break even.. What is that?
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    The Naked Whiz,[p]This is what KCBS says [p]After cooking, all meat:[p](a) Must be held at 140 degrees or above, --or—[p](b) Cooked potentially hazardous food shall be cooled:[p](1) Within 2 hours from 140 degrees F to 70 degrees F and
    (2) Within 4 hours from 70 degrees F to 41 degrees F or less
    (3) Potentially hazardous food (meat) that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated for hot holding and serving shall be reheated so that all parts of the food reach a temperature of at least 165 degrees F for a minimum of 15 seconds.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    ColoradoTonka,[p]I have 4 XL's and am in the final stages of a trailer design. Got delayed because I wanted to incorporate a whole hog cooker. I went with 4 because I am also asked to do a fair amount of catering and place at least one smoking egg at each catering event for show. I'd be curious to see other trailers designed around eggs. I've seen Wimer's trailer. Any others out there?

• ColoradoTonka,
    I just did this last weekend in my first contest with one large egg. Turn in times were (no brisket in this competition):
    11:30am - Chicken
    12:00pm - Ribs
    12:30pm - Butts[p]I put two butts on at 6pm (start time) at 275.
    5am - Butts off (195 internal - perfect) and in cooler, put Ribs on (260-275)
    9:30am - Ribs off, double wrapped/toweled and in cooler, chicken on (250)
    11:00 - bumped temp to 300-350 to finish chicken
    11:30am - Chicken done, ribs back on to sauce
    12:00pm - Ribs done, egg complete.[p]I kept the butts/ribs warm by triple wrapping in heavy foil, then wrapping in warm towels (I warmed them by laying them over the egg). And this is the kicker: I also boiled a small pot of water on a coleman stove, and put the full hot pot inside the cooler with the food. Once every 1-1.5 hours I reheated the water to boiling and put it back in. It kept the inside of the cooler VERY warm compared to just the heat of the meat.[p]My temps on the butt after 7.5hrs like this was still over 150 - safe.[p]I ended up with 3rd in Chicken, and 2nd in Butts out of 12 teams. My ribs didn't place (they needed another hour on the egg, me thinks). Still not bad for first time out against a bunch of metal-heads. :-)[p]I guess you could do the same as me, cooking brisket over or under the butts with similar results.[p]Hope this helps![p]- Mike[p]