Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin

Mary
Mary Posts: 190
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks, I am getting ready to put on two pork tenderloins. I have a fixed a raspberry chipolte sauce I found but I need to know if I should add another rub to the meat before cooking and I need advice on temp and setup. I have several Dizzy Pig choices and a rub I mixed for a whole loin I fixed. Thanks.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mary,
    I use Dizzy Pig Orginal most of the time. Good luck and show pics.[p]Mike

• Mary
    Car Wash Mike ,
    I have them on -- using a rub I mixed from a forum recipe -- and they're cookin'!! [p]I don't know how to get pictures into the forum. If you can tell me, I'll try it!![p]BTW -- I am using an inverted plate setter with extender on top of cooking rack. The loins didn't lay well on the v-rack so I thought the extender would work. [p]How wrong am I in what I am doing??[p]Thanks!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Mary,[p]For the next time, I'd suggest you tie the two small tenderloins into one larger piece - it allows more flexibility in cooking them. Another way is to sear at a high temp and then move to a setup like you have (indirect) for finishing.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mary,
    You're doing great. I never use a V-Rack with tenderloins.[p]Here is a link to post a pic.[p]Mike

[ul][li]Post a pic with the Wiz.[/ul]
  • Mary
    Haggis,
    Thanks for the tip. I think I should have talked with you before I started!! I have them off, wrapped in foil, and rolls in the oven!! --- however, my first temp check surprised me when I read 168!!!! I am sure they are somewhat well-done so I will know the next time.[p]I am ready for a Maverick or similar external thermometer![p]I will note your advice for future cooks![p]

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Mary,[p]They should still be good - pork is a forgiving meat - but let us know how they turned out. But, as I've mentioned previously on the forum, I prefer to take it off about 130 and let it rest because we prefer it slightly pink. It rises to a nice medium in about ten more minutes. And, by the way, give a thought to Qbabe's coffee encrusted version (see the Florida Eggfest recipes for the details.) I did two (four?) for Xmas and my daughter's boy friend kept eating after we'd all finished. Come to think of it, he does that for everything . . .
  • Mary
    Haggis,
    Your daughter's boyfriend sounds like my son-in-law!! No food is safe when he is around!![p]Seriously, the loins were delicious. We do like it pretty well-done but still very moist. This was just like that. I am trying to download some pictures to put on the forum. I am at the mercy of dial-up so I don't know if I can get them on Photobucket. They are trying to get there as I write this!![p]We have had our BGE for about four weeks and I have been out of state for two of those weeks. This is just the fifth or sixth cook so I am really a novice![p]Thanks for all your advice!!

• Mary
    Car Wash Mike ,
    I am going to ATTEMPT to post the pictures of my first tenderloin on the BGE. It is sooooo good!!! (Pictures getting here may be another story!)[p]Here we are ready to come off the grill. (Actually, this is after resting -- I put them back on the grill to get the picture!)[p]DSC00545.jpg[p]Sliced and ready to serve. Note the beautiful plate my grandchildren made me for Mother's Day this year.[p]
    DSC00550.jpg[p]Plated and ready to enjoy![p]DSC00546.jpg[p]A close-up of the best part![p]DSC00548.jpg[p]Thanks to everyone for tips!!

• Mary
    Car Wash Mike,
    It WORKED!!! Thanks a bunch! Now, if I can just get as good on the egg!