Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speeding up a brisket cook

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a friend that put 9# trimmed brisket on at 10:30 this morn.. Needs it ready by 8:30 tonite. Need suggestions as to temps ,,foiling if necessary (how long to foil)/ He is doing it indirect with platesetter..He has cooked briskets ok before but this is crowding him for the finish.. Normally, this would not have been ready until about 10:30--11:00 tonite.[p]Thanks, Ray

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Babyray,
    What temp right now? He has to go at least 3 hours before wrapping in my opinion.[p]Mike

• Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Mike, he is cruising on 250 right now..About how long in the foil when he wraps it? Thanks a lot.[p]Ray Price

• Unknown
    Options
    Babyray, this is what I would suggest: From 10:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. is ten hours. I would want it to rest on the counter a half hour before I slice it. I'd like to let it rest, wrapped and hot, in a warm cooler for at least an hour and a half, longer if time permits. So, that reduces my cooking time by two hours, leaving eight. I would cook it low and slow for at least six hours, wrap it in foil with a couple of ounces of beef broth, put it in the oven and finish cooking it at 300*. Take it out when it hits between 190 and 195*, leave it in foil, wrap the whole thing in news papers and towels, or whatever, and place it in the warm cooler. This is a ten-hour schedule that will work.

• Unknown
    Options
    P.S. Would be better if he were cooking at about 225*, rather than 250* IMO.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Babyray,
    I start mine at 235, so times will vary. Like Chuck mentioned, you want to rest the brisket awhile before slicing.I think he can until 4 before wrapping in foil. Check the internal temp at 3. If 165 or above, I would wrap until 190-195 at 250.
    Let us know, we can all learn something.
    Getting mine ready at 4pm tonight for Sunday's guests.[p]Mike