Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini egg question

Options
TheGrillisGone
TheGrillisGone Posts: 133
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a problem getting mini egg temps above 625 for a good sear. Egg Clean, firebox lined up, lump dry, properly stacked large to small, and filled to top of fire box. I have tried different sizes of lump (using RO)and still no higher temp. This is also with nothing on top vent and bottom vent completely open.[p]The one thing I notice was the bottom vent is shifted to the left and 1/4" of ceramic is showing making vent opening smaller. Is this normal for a mini, or could this be causing the problem?[p]Thanks![p]JIm

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    TheGrillisGone,
    Anyone have lower door shifted?

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BGEgasket9_06005.jpg
    <p />TheGrillisGone,
    Off hand, two things; Use medium and small lump, no large. And load it up to the top of the fire ring.[p]Plan A;[p]Draft is important, might be 'the' most important thing here for getting high temps. Build the fire starting with a good handful of medium chunks and position around the grate holes so the holes are not blocked. Then layer small chunks over until the fire ring is filled. Fire up the lump by lighting a starter cube under the grate. After the lump is started close the dome and let'er rip.[p]Plan B;[p]In the pic above is my grate for the large. I have made legs for it so it so it don't rock and tip in the firebox. I did the same for my mini and I positioned the grate 1/8" ABOVE the firebox so it does not make contact at the sides. This provides more airflow! It's simple to make; Three stainless carriage bolts cut to length and fastened from the underside with stainless nuts.[p]Good luck, try plan A first. Plan B is an option.
    Clay [p][p]

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    TheGrillisGon,
    If your lower draft door assembly is loose and shifting, move it back and re-tighten the fasteners. Of course, remove the fire ring and firebox to get at the inside nuts securing the lower draft door. Don't overtighten, just make them snug. If your silicone sealant is cooked, remove lower draft door, clean the eggs surface and draft door of all old silicone, apply new clear silicone (GE or DAP brand) and reattach lower draft door, whiping way excess silicone with alcohol rag. Let the silicone cure for two days before cooking again.
    Clay