Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bringing Ribs to a party - how many?

Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My daughter's softball team is having their End of Season party/cookout next Saturday and everyone's supposed to bring something.[p]I'm thinking of baby backs because I know I can get them cooked before lunchtime. If you have any better suggestions, let me know. (I'm also considering an overnight Boston Butt for pulled pork)[p]There are 15 girls on the team, plus one or two parents each, so how many racks should I make? This won't be a "main course" it's a buffet kind of thing.
Thanks!

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Flashback Bob,
    As a side item figure 2-3 ribs per person. But remember this crew is young and athletic may want a few more bones.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Flashback Bob,
    I have done this several times.
    I start out doing the 3,1,1 method but there are changes. I start with about 5- 6 full racks. I set up a indirect cook, the racks on their edges and use a dome temp of 250, no less no more. I let them go for 3 hours, I then remove them to a 3-4 deep alum pan, I cut the full racks in half at this point. I cover the ribs lightly with the "sauce of the day" or what ever you will use at the end. Not too much as you done want to over do and steam the ribs. I then put the covered alum pans in the a Direct Egg setup and rotate top to bottom every 15 minutes to keep the ribs from burning, for an hour or so. I remove the covered pans and let them rest on the counter for about an hour. Next into the refrigerator they go till the day of grilling. On that day of grilling I set the house oven to 175 and just warm the ribs up for about an hour or less, just enough so the harden fat melts. Transport these to your final grilling spot. Now the ribs are ready for the final grilling and saucing. Just grill and sauce the ribs as needed. Like I said I have done this before and days ahead, the most I did were 18 racks over 3 days.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Flashback Bob,
    The flippant answer to your questioning title is "Not enough".

• Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Flashback Bob,

I had a similiar situation present itself to me for the 4th of July block party. Ended up getting 5 racks of baby backs and had the butcher cut the rack in half LONG WAYS. They cook the same way (IMO get more flavor) and you get alot more out of it.
    When ribs are done, cut them into two ribs pieces, and stack them in a container. I brought mine dry (easier to transport) with a bottle of sauce for those whom wanted to use it. Ended up being the hit of the party. [p]Good luck and I hope it works out,
    Egg-N-Tino

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Flashback Bob,
    I agree with Morro Bay Rich. If you only cook 6-9 slabs, make sure they are at the end of the buffet line and out of sight. I made the mistake of cooking the same amount of brisket and pulled pork. Brisket was gone in no time.
    Other than this board and other BBQ cooking forums. A lot of people have no idea how to cook a quality rib.[p]Mike

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Flashback Bob,
    I agree with those about the ribs...almost any qty is not enough. If time per day is an issue then use two days to do 'em. Besides ribs next day, to me, taste better anyway.
    ST