Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon this weekend - got a ?

db
db Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
going to do some decent size filets - got the recipe I want to use for glaze - planning on using a plate setter - cooking at around 325 or so (unless you folks suggest otherwise) - filets directly on the grill skin down - probably 2 filets around 3/4 - 1 lb each - what cook times you think I am looking at? Thanks for the help - also - any suggestiong on what to soak the alder in - just water - or something else like white wine, etc?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    DB,[p] Not real long and just water. Cook time will depend on how thick the fillet are. Personally I like my Salmon on the rare side..[p]
  • db
    Thanks - I read a post here where it was discussed that they had them on for 3 hours - that seemed like a LONG time - I am guessing these filets will be at their thickest point around 2 - 2 1/2 inches

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    DB,[p] 3 HOURS!!! Were they making Salmon jerky? [p] If you make it to 20 minutes I'd be surprised. You want it to start flaking. me I like it just before it turns pink.
  • db
    Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks friend - I appreciate it - Salmon jerky - that made me laugh...

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    DB,[p]I wouldn't soak the alder chips in anything. Wet chips just steam until they get dry enough to smoke, so you really aren't adding anything by soaking them. If you wanted to soak the fish in something before applying the glaze, go for it. Just make sure it isn't anything too acidic or you will cook the salmon in the marinade.[p]If you have a remote temperature probe, you can use it to cook the Salmon until done. Those fillets should be thick enough to get a probe in. Cook to an internal temperature of 140 degrees for moist, pink salmon. Anything over 150 and you are drying out the fish.[p]Good luck!
    Kevin

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Pete - we cook ours for 3 hours plus, but that is in foil, not on a plank. :)[p]I did wreck a little sockeye fillet the other day - I cooked it direct and then forgot about it..... it was like a shrinky-dink the next day!!
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    DB,
    I'm one of the guys mentioned who cooked salmon last week low and slow--not cold-smoked,but not quick cooked, either. After 4 hours at 200 w/ alder smoke it was very moist and flaky and really tasty. I think having skin on both sides made sort of a "fake fish" and held the moisture in well. I've had good success with quicker methods, too. The link below is to the photos of that cook, if you'd like to try it sometime.

[ul][li]Low and slow salmon[/ul]