Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing the membrane from ribs

Options
Jack H
Jack H Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs with the handle of a tablespoon as Jim said to try. I wasn't very successful. Was it because the ribs were not room tempature or would that make a difference?
Thanks in advance, you guys & girls are the best

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Jack H,
    I get it started with the end of a temp prob or something like that. Just get it started. Then I grab it with a paper towel and pull away.

• Unknown
    Options
    Jack H,- I pull up a tip piece of the membrane and then use a pair of plyers to pull the remaining part away from the back of the ribs...just my way

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Jack H,
    Try to start the tear with a sharp blade just enough to grab about a 1/2 inch of membrane with a paper towel with your fingers and pull back and you will find that it will pull down the length of the rib.With just the spoon you more than likely could not get a good grip on the membrane.After the second or third attempt you will get it own pat.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jack H, I had tried a few ways to do it and was unsuccessful. At Waldorf I watched WessB and his technique really works. He used a dull spoon handle to get under the membrane on one end and slowly pry it up. Then he grabbed it with a paper towel and pulled. I was impressed at how easy it became.

• Unknown
    Options
    HungryMan,
    i dont make ribs anymore because of this. i just cant find an easy way to do it. if i do get a good grip on the membrane it tears apart. piece by piece, not worth the hassle.[p]should the ribs be room temperature? i dont think anyone has mentioned that detail.

• Unknown
    Options
    luis, The times I have used the plyers to remove the membrane..I just remove the ribs from the frig and wiggle up a small tip and then use the plyers. I use the plyers because I cannot get a steady grip on the membrane..suppose that is why the paper towel is used! Will use a paper towel next time! thanks

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    luis,
    Usually my Baby Backs come from my freezer and I tackle the membrane when partially defrosted. Makes a bit easier, however the paper towel is the trick I have used for several years, frozen or not.

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    Jack H,
    Start at the short end of the slab. Slip the handle of a butter knife under the membrane of the "second" bone from the end. Slide it all the way across then lift it up. You should geta few inches of membrane to grab onto with a paper towel. The colder the slab, the easier the membrane pulls off.

• spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Options
    luis,[p]I cooked ribs for years before I even knew you were supposed to take it off. I just took the membrane off for the first time this past Friday. I used a filet knife to get under it, cut a little and then used a paper towel to pull the rest off. Easy peasy.[p]So did I notice a difference membrane versus no membrane? Well, I think I got a better overall flavor since now the rub I use came into actual contact with meat on the bottom. Other than that, I guess I'm too busy eating to notice if there was one on or not. :)[p]In the end though, I'll continue taking it off since I can soak the soy in more and get the rub on better.[p]STL Scott
  • spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Options
    Jack H,[p]Check out TRex's website, this is how I learned to take the membrane off. Sorry I forgot to include this in my other post.
    [ul][li]http://www.houseoffaulkner.com/bbribs.html[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Jack H,[p]An old timer trick is to roll up the rack with the membrane to the outside. This stretches it and makes it easier to remove. It doesn't help you find a corner but look at rib #2 or #3 often there is enough slack to get a finger under the membrane there.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RibDog
    RibDog Posts: 31
    Options
    Jack H,[p]A trick that I can't remember who taught me is to take the rack of ribs and lay it bone side down on the counter. Then, from the large end of the rack, roll the rack into itself as tight as possible until you get about two thirds of the way down the rack. Unroll and turn the rack over. Then just scratch at the membrane to start it and grab with a paper towel to pull it off the rest of the way. You may have to work your finger under the membrane and up the first rib when starting to get the get the whole membrane removal started. After this the membrane should just come right off. At least it does for me the majority of the time.[p]John

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Jack H,
    What works easily for me--use the tip of a small paring knife to open up the lower edge of the membrane, coming up from the bottom edge of a bone (it has to be braced against a bone), and wiggle it around without tearing it to loosen up enough membrane to grab with the paper towel.

Judy in San Diego
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jack H, I often buy the "Maverick" brand of baby-backs. Unlike other brands and especially the larger racks of ribs, I can never get the membrane to come off clean (it's very thin).. My butcher even gave up after a while![p]Rascal

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    spbull472,
    I also have cooked ribs and enjoyed them without any idea that you were supposed to pull off the membrane. I now do it but really don't see much problem leaving it on. I certainly would not give up on ribs just couse I couldn't get the membrane off.

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    Jack H,[p]Since no one has mentioned it...some racks, many cryovaced, come without the membrane. You can try forever and what you get off is the "secondary" membrane that actually holds the bones together. I don't recommend removing this as the ribs will not stay together well once cooked. I find the membrane easy to remove. If it's not easy, you may not be removing the "correct" membrane.[p]Win
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning the second membrane, Win. (Man, this forum is great.)

I cooked my first ribs this past weekend, and they werent' nearly as good as I had hoped they would be. Before I cooked them, I removed the only membrane that I saw, and the ribs seemed to be a little too "loose," for lack of a better word. The ribs sorta fell apart a little bit too much toward the end of the cook, and I was wondering what I did wrong. (Figured that it couldn't have been the Egg's fault.) Now I suspect that I removed a membrane that I shouldn't have removed. Next time I think I'll know what to look for.

Thanks again.