Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Minon strip

Options
Eggmeister-disabled
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My butcher requires that I purchase the entire filet minon. Do I cut it into 1 inch steaks? Or smoke the whole thing? If I smoke the whole thing, how do I go about this? I am a newbie with 5 butts under my belt and two ribeye steaks.
Thanks

Comments

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Options
    Eggmeister, You should have a whole tenderloin, somewhere around 5 lbs. 1st thing you need to do is trim it up. There is a site (I think some one here will point you the way) called "Ask the Butcher" it will show you how to trim / clean up the tender. Then you can either roast/grill it whole or slice it into fillets. If you slice go at least 2 inches. If you roast it - I like to sear around 700 deg. on all sides then let it rest 15 minutes then grill at around 400 till 125 deg in the middle. TREX works on steaks as well as roasts !!

• Eggmeister-disabled
    Options
    Memphis,[p]
    I did TRex on some ribeyes. I have some Raising the Steaks that will be here by Wed. Can I use the Trex method with Raising the Steaks with individual Filets?[p]Eggmeister

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    Local market had whole tenderloins on sale this past weekend...Cut up into three roasts and two 2 1/2" steaks.
    Cooked one of the roasts and vacuum sealed the rest for
    future consumption. Dusted with Raising the Steaks, applied
    a coating of EVOO, seared, installed the grill extender,
    cooled her down to 450*, and pulled it off at 120* internal.
    Fantabulous! The whole tenderloin weighed 7 1/4#. Just wait until you try beef and pork ribs, spatchcocked chicken (had
    that tonight), pizza, standing rib roast, etc., etc.
    I am also a newbie, welcome to the cult.[p]Mike (fieroguy)

• Eggmeister-disabled
    Options
    fieroguy,
    How long does it take to smoke a tenderloin?
    EM

• Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    Memphis,[p]This may help give an idea on how to cut up a beef tenderloin.[p]I saw Alton Brown demonstrate it once on his show. He cut some 1.5" steaks, a nice sized roast and used the trimmings for some other dish.[p]Hope this helps a little,[p]Joey
    [ul][li]Ask a Butcher [/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    here is a link to how i handle whole tenderloins. .. .roast, 4 - 2 inch thick filets and 'the tail' .. . .don't do it a disservice by cutting it into one inch thick steaks .yuck .. .

[ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesTloin.html[/ul]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Ever try STT on your baked potato?
    Shakingthepotatos.jpg

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    I don't see why not.[p]H

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    well. you don't "smoke" a whole tenderloin like you do a butt. for hours and hours. you might add smoke, for flavor, but 99 percent of the time, you will sear-and-roast, or just roast it.[p]of course you can go slo, say 250, until the internal temp is maybe 130. then spike temps and sear for color and maillard-love (carmelization/flavor) on the outside.[p]but if you toss it on at 250 and come back after an overnight, you'll have a dry chunk of tough meat.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bahmanicious
    Bahmanicious Posts: 105
    Options
    You could cold smoke it. :)
    Best,
    WA