Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost a new user

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are about to get a distributor for the Green Egg within our local area. As a person who loves to BBQ and smoke. I have been seriously thinking about purchasing one. They are quite expensive and would like to get any advice from those of you who have used one for a long time. [p]It looks as if one of these good looking cookers will last a lifetime if taken reasonable care it taken. Please give me any inputs, such as accessories, care, and anything else you may think of.[p]P.S. I have been using a Webber for the past twenty some years and said I would never use anything else. Now I am not too sure about that.

Comments

• Just-RuthandJim
    Options
    Glenn Heilemann, We have been using the BGE since we got it the first of July and we do not regret the expense...yes, there was sticker shock when we went to buy it but the purchase (and the wonderful help one gets from the forum) makes the purchase an investment instead of a splurge! We had used a smoker for years but the results we have had from the egg are exceptional....we are really blown away by the vegetables. We went ahead a purchased a large egg (now we want to join others as proud owners of another egg since we often want two temperatures when cooking for company and a second egg seems to cut the work). We purchased the plate holder and the pizza plate. We got rib racks from Lowes. You would also need the ash tool. We also got a second grill and 6 fire bricks (we do use the plate holder more for indirect but the fire bricks are very handy). I would not like to try to cook without the nest and the side tables and I think you would also like to have the vegetabe/seafood pans. We now have three of them (one was a gift) We did go to a welding supply shop and purchased gloves as has been recommended here. They do make cooking easier than trying to use kitchen gloves!![p]We have had exceptional cooks of pork ribs, brisket, lamb, scallops, eye of the round beef roast, and the vegetables, as I mentioned earlier, are exceptional. We have also been smoking nuts (almonds). Some of our cooks are less well received than others but all have good...just some we like better than others!

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Glenn Heilemann,
    Started Egging last Xmas (gift to myself). I've made believers out of everyone who's been over to eat, even through my continuing learning curve. The help here is absolutely tremendous. I was really on the fence when I decided to graduate from my R2D2 style water smoker, and had it not been for the salesperson at the local Egg dealer, who told me to check this website....I may be the not so proud owner of some big black monstrosity, instead of Huevo Verde Grande. Buy as much Egg as possible (I can't imagine having less than the Large)--and you'll probably want to add a smaller one later. Not the other way around. I'll let the others put you on the right path re: accessories and essentials.....it's all good!!
    Big Murth in New Mexico

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Glenn Heilemann,[p]Get the large...you won't regret it. However, you WILL want a second and a third Egg. I have a large and a Mini Looking at a medium.
    Carey

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Glenn Heilemann,
    Bought my large in the Spring and don't regret it one single day. Yes, it is a hefty price but realize you won't have to buy another grill. That is unless you buy a second Egg, as I am now considering. My wife said it's more of an "appliance" than another grill.
    To start, you'll need the ash tool for sure. Everrything else can come as presents or as the opportunity presents itself.
    Upkeep is minimal. Clean the exterior as needed by wiping it down. The grill basically cleans itself at high temps(700+) so all that leaves is to scrap out some ash.
    Think of it kinda like a big pool of very inviting but slightly cold water. Just jump right in and you won't regret it!
    As for this forum...serious and excellent advice on every aspect of using your new grill! Enjoy!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Glenn Heilemann,
    Just over two years since I got my first BGE, and I am still finding new ways to do things. The cooker is very flexible, and efficient, and is truly a year 'round cooker....no matter where you live. You will receive much more than you expect with this purchase. Far more than you can imagine.[p]By far the best feature is this forum. The potential for learning is incredible...sharing is contagious, and there are many, many generous folks here who have caught the bug. From making flavored Ghee to building tables. From sharpening knives to brining poultry. From cooking rabbits to seasoning cast iron. From storing foods to reheating pulled pork. From 1500 degree thermocouples to cleaning your daisy wheel. From digital camera reviews to beer discussions. From smoking woods to chinese lump. Birthday wishes, and sometimes political.....but always great people sharing a wealth of diversified knowledge. Very little that has not been cooked by these folks.[p]Hang around here for a spell...take a gander through the archives....and you will find all the info you can handle.[p]welcome
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Glenn Heilemann,I WAS also a webber user for 20-30 years. Last July I got the large. Today, its a whole new world. The first cook was chicken, followed by apple pie. Wouldn't even have thought of that while being a webber owner.This summer I got a medium . Big difference between a webber and the Egg. Go ahead take the plunge you won't regret it. One last thing, last week the was a post from someone that has had an egg for 30 years.