Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grillin' Steak---What's your favorite?

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello fellow Eggers,[p]I grilled filet mignons last nite which were great and I got to wondering what cut of meat all of you like the most when it comes time to grill your favorite steak. What are your favorite cuts? Top three?[p]Bob

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    NY Strip, Porterhouse, Filet. Like the Strips and Porterhouses with Montreal Saesoning and the filet Wrapped on the outside edge with Bacon and served with Mason Butter.
    Gotta go check the Baby Backs. They been on 1 1/2 hours at 265* with mustard and JJ's rub.
    B D

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    WudEyeDoo, top three?? Well, a dang good cut of top Sirloin is tough to beat..for lean..Filet mignon is of course the finest..Then Ribeye is next for a flavorful well marbled hunk of meat. The marbling, IMO, is the flavor. But if you want the very, very, finest cut of meat..then you will have to go select the Japanese special stock breed of cattle, Kobi Beef, and pay the price.
    So..Filet Mignon,Ribeye,top sirloin, porterhouse, T-bone, and special cuts of top tenderloins.
    Thats more than 3, but doing em justice..:-)
    C~W
    BTW...Buffalo steak, again, IMHO, is a top ranked contender.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Char-Woody, You have sparked my interest again. What is Kobi Beef and where do you get it?[p]CWM

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    WudEyeDoo, Moose tenderloin[p]Mop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, Hoboy...down in the threads..I tbink Daryl djm5x9 posted there or on another forum. He did some extensive research...I will find it for ya and e.mail the info.
    C~W

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Mop,
    I could go for that.
    I haven't had any Moose since my Father-in-law passsed away.
    B D

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    Rib-eye; porterhouse; filet...even though I seldom splurge enough for filets![p]Looking forward to our annual Christmas time dinner party when I do a whole rib-eye. It'll be a first on the egg!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Shelby,
    Gonna amen here. You didn't rank 'em, but for me its filet first, rib-eye second and porterhouse third.
    We're getting something here called "mock tender." No idea where it comes from, but it's the size and shape of a filet, with a little bit of connective tissue right in the middle. (And that's sufficiently tender that is dissolves when you cook it.) Since it's less than half of anything else, it's what we eat the most of.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Big Daddy, yes, It sure is nice for a change every now and again isn`t it.[p]Mop!

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Mop,
    As they used to say, "That's a big ten four"
    B D

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    ribeye, ribeye, ribeye. My absolute favorite as well as the many who've tried them. I've done dozens of batches and just settled on them as the best. I've got a buddy that raised cattle and they fed the cow for their personal use corn until it couldn't eat anymore for a week then slaughtered it. He said that he'd put it up against any cow east or west. My grandad visited often from Kansas and didn't care for the taste of the "western" beef. I imagine that's because our cows eat sage brush and stuff most of their lives!

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    Huck, Howdy ... I'm a brand new egg owner... I've done filets and new yorks.. both great... been wanting to try some rib eyes.. do you do anything special... do you cook'em hot...
    BD with the new BGE

• Char-Woody
    Options
    George, in Colorado.. thanks for that one. I erred a while back on a post and was looking for that particular hunk of meat. If I am thinking the same cut, its the cut right near the larynx of the animal. In the neck..This is a real choice hunk of meat and usually the butcher took it home for himself..:-)
    At least some of em..:-)
    Thanks George!!
    C~W

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Hangar whey I'm lucky enough to find 'em or a friend slaughters a cow.[p]Ribeyes a couple times a month.[p]Skirt or Flank for the most part because they can be cooked so many different ways.[p]Zip