Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which is the best pizza stone?

Options
RibDog
RibDog Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to get a pizza stone to go with my new large BGE and was wondering if there is a concensus on what is the best pizza stone to use. [p]Thanks much![p]John

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    RibDog, go with the BGE stone. Others have a history of cracking - at least more often than a BGE stone.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    RibDog,[p]the BGE stone....I have the 14" but I am going to get the larger one...[p]
    I have a large BGE..

• bobinaz
    bobinaz Posts: 44
    Options
    RibDog,[p]I have a pampered chef pizza stone. It is 16" and has a pattern on the underside making it over 1/2 inch in places. I use that for my large egg. I have a small 9 inch stone (maybe 1/4" thick) for my small. Don't know the brand. But the pampered chef stone seems more dense.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    bobinaz,[p]The PS stones will break...I had one explode!!!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    RibDog,[p]I did my first 2 pizzas on the Pampered Chef stone. There are many horror stories of them cracking and literally breaking into pieces in the egg.[p]I went to the mothership and purchased the BGE large stone. It is much more thick than the Pampered Chef model and now I don't have to listen to my wife complain that I discolored hers. The PC model FWIW does great biscuits, breads, etc. in an oven, but I am afraid it will end up broken at egg temps.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    RibDog, ive had my soapstone one pushing 6 maybe 7 years. its been cracked for most of that time but still works. the bge stones dont crack from what i hear.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smoke Diver
    Options
    RibDog,[p]I am looking into FibraMent stones as well as the BGE stone. It appears that one of the keys to success is to keep the stone above gasket level which should help prevent gasket problems. It also sounds like a large diameter stone can be used above the gasket line.[p]Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    RibDog, I have an old square piece of glazed tile that does wonders. 1 in thick and about 13 in wide. Found in a old closed brickyard.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    RibDog,
    Look at the Naked Whiz's site for a discussion of pizza stones.

[ul][li]Pizza Stones[/ul]
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Options
    RibDog,
    I don't want to go against the "mothership" but here is the one I bought. It's 16 inches wide but is the only one I could find that is 3/4 of inch thick! I've been using my and it's done great.[p][p]Steve

[ul][li]16 Inch Pizza Stone[/ul]
  • Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    RibDog,[p]I use the BGE 14" stone with Plate Setter Legs up with main grate on legs, Grid Extender on main grid and THEN Pizza Stone on top of grid extender. This keeps stone high in dome, well above gasket and is easy to take in and out.[p]Joey

• RibDog
    Options
    icemncmth,[p]You speak of a larger one. Does BGE make larger than a 14" stone?[p]John
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    RibDog, I have to go with the others recommending the BGE stone. Though I haven't used it for pizza (I haven't done a pizza at all I am ashamed to say), I subject it to extreme temps using it as a heat shield for indirect cooks instead of a platesetter.[p]Adjustablerigspiderstone.jpg[p]It takes this abuse like a champ without cracking. I tried a stone from BB&B and it cracked into 4 pieces the first cook. The BGE is a tough stone, I would go with it.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    RJH, like you, I've abused the heck out of the bge stones in the egg, only broke one.....ah when I dropped it on the driveway. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RibDog
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your help. And thanks to Whiz for that writeup on your site.[p]But I have one more question. Does BGE make a stone larger than 14"?[p]John

• AZ Traveler
    AZ Traveler Posts: 664
    Options
    icemncmth,
    So did I. Not neat. AZ

• Unknown
    Options
    I recently bought the fibrement stone and am very pleased with it. It's full 3/4 inch thick and very heavy and comes with a flame shield. I'v had other ceramic stones in the past but have had them crack or break eventually. The only downside of the fibrement stone is that it can be a bit pricey.

• pattont
    pattont Posts: 39
    Options
    They make one that fits the XL, but I had one in my hand at the store and it was the same diameter as the large egg, so unless you have the XL then you are out of luck.