Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt Bird with Fresh Corn

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing another Beer Butt Chicken tomorrow night. A client of mine swears by a great method of roasting fresh corn, and I would love your opinion(s) on it:
Leave the corn in the husk and place upright (silk up) in a big pot of water and stabilize so they stand straight up and water can get down into the corn. Soak for at least 1/2 a day, and place on the grill for about 45-60 min., turning often. Using some dedicated gloves for the task, pull the husk down away from the corn, and hand it off to your ravenous eater, who can dip the whole shebang into a stick of butter on the table, salt it up and eat away.
Sounds like something great to do on the Egg!! What do you think??
Big Murth

Comments

• Big Murth,[p]Sounds good but it sounds like some hot work work to take the husk off. I've been pulling back the husk and cleaning the silk off. I tie off the husk with a piece of string then brush on melted butter and season the way you like. Cook over a medium, medium hot coals (350 to 400) 4 mins per side or until kernels just start to turn brown, basting on more butter on if you like. The beauty of this method is the wood fired taste the corn takes on. I guarantee you'll love it and you don't have to burn your fingers taking off hot husk.[p]CC
  • Big Murth
    ColoradoCook,
    I'm confused. You pull off the husk and remove the silk, and then tie the husk back on, and then butter it? If I get your drift, you pull the husk down to the bottom, remove the silk, rinse the corn kernel surface, season/butter and then tie the husk back on around the corn, and then cook?
    I guess my friend's idea is that with the water absorbed from the soak, you can "low 'n slow" it in the husk, and it would steam pretty nicely plus get some BBQ effect from the cooking medium. Anyway and anyhow, I'm going to have corn tomorrow!! Clarify if you can, and I'm thanking you in advance..Gracias!!

• Big Murth,
    I found a recipie book at good ole wally world that said to do the same thing. Find corn that the husks are still tight and soak in water. Then grill until husk turn black. When the husk are pulled back the silk just pulls away easily.

• Big Murth
    husker,
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I figured about 1/2 way through my Beer Chicken at 325-350, I'd throw the corn on and turn them every 15 minutes or so. I'll let everyone know if it works!! Thanks

• Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Big Murth,
    You won't be sorry one of my favorite methods. I throw a little sugar in the water, but that is the only diff.
    Go COCKS

• Big Murth,[p]I apologize for the confusion. [p]You will want to pull the husk back and tie it with string, making a handle out of the husk. The corn kernels will have direct contact with the grill and the coals below.[p]When it comes to grilling with husk on I often find that the corn takes on a husky taste, not BBQ.[p]Enjoy

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Big Murth,
    Try the link below. This is my family's facorite corn on the cob by a large margin.
    We follow the recipe except for the rub. We only put butter on it.
    Enjoy, it's grrrreat!
    B D

[ul][li]Corn on the husk[/ul]