Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse For 4

Options
Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have already cooked lots of steak on my BGE but have not tried a Porterhouse yet, yes I know, no different from a T-Bone other then the extra filet:) Anyway my question is has anyone cooked 1 Porterhouse for 4 people? I am thinking about 48 onces and 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" thick. Because of the thickness I am thinking the lava sear for 90 seconds per side and then a 20 minute rest with the finish being at 400 degrees dome temp for 5 to 6 minutes per side to achieve a perfect medium rare. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Scott,
    i would give it a rest in the hot tub, myself. then, the initial sear would be all that you'd need to cook it to medium rare.[p]you will have rare near the bone no matter what you do. the five or six minutes at 400 seems a bit long for a steak an inch-and-ahalf thick.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    100_1063.jpg
    <p />Scott,
    they cook a little funny with the bone in them, i would do the roasting somewhere between 325-350 for a more even cook. i use a thermapen to check them and dont wear a watch for times. trex, but lower the roasting time for bone in steaks works best for me.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]How is that Cream Stout you have there? One of our local package stores carries it but I've never tried.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    CT Grillguy,
    if you like stout, its one of the best. it has fuggles in it which is also my favorite ipa hops. i used to make stouts years ago, its very close to a well aged toad spit which is my all time favorite. the place i was getting them no longer carrys them which could be a good thing, they were pricey.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Scott, 1 for 4 doesnt seem enough, I rather have a nice filet done up for 4

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Scott,
    These were 4".
    Sear for 2 min a side and rest for 20 min and finish at 350 dome.
    The size in the photo does not do them justice except maybe the last one of the bone. The plate is a large whole fish plate. They were Angus cuts and had good flavor but I will not do again. It was more like a roast. I prefer more of the char flavor and these were to thick. Boy did they flame and look cool for the sear. It took 4 of us to finish one.
    Darian[p]

PreCookPort.jpg[p]
    SeasonedPort.jpg[p]
    FinishedPort.jpg[p]
    bone.jpg[p]

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas