Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke rings

GeoM
GeoM Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some advice regarding how to obtain a nice pink smoke ring on my baby backs. I've had them come out that way before but the last few cooks my ribs have come out a very grey/brown. I've been cooking indirect at 250* for about 5-6 hrs to an internal temp of 190*. I use hickory chunks for the first 2-3 hrs of the cook. What's the key?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    GeoM, a cold surface will help to induce a quicker smoke ring..Gosh there are quite a few varibles to work with. You say hickory chunks for the first 2 to 3 hours? My chunks are buried in the charcoal..so they usually turn into charcoal in 2 to 3 hours into the cook. There could be a long thread on this one on the pro's and con's of rib preparations.
    Good luck on the next ones...The quest is the fun part and so is the eats..
    C~W

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    GeoM,
    I find that in going indirect, if I put the soaked chips/chunks on as soon as the coals are going good and then put the ribs on right away, I get a good smoke ring. The dome temp when I initially close it up is about 160-180F. I then let the temp rise slowly over an hour or hour and a half to my target temp (which for me doing ribs indirect is about 325F).
    JimW

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    ribs4eat.jpg
    <p />GeoM:[p]I think the best smoke rings are the result of direct cooks with cold ribs on a preheated ceramic cooker.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    djm5x9,[p]Those are some beauties.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    djm5x9, thats cheatin, those are presentation ribs for a BBQ contest..:-) Cut that out now, ya hear..(Kiddin ya)
    C~W[p]

• JM
    JM Posts: 39
    GeoM,
    Hey Bro -
    I think I'd go have dinner over djm5x9. That pic of those rib look mighty fine.
    Call me when you get a chance.
    JM

• GeoM,[p]I had some tremendous smoke rings last week. I did my ribs indirect. First I brought the temp up to 275 to 300 and scattered 5 small chunks of soaked hickory among the hot coals. The wet chunks helped drop the temp down to 200. I then slapped my ribs on and it smoked like hell for several hours. I cook mine at 250. I might use 3 chunks next time around, they were really strong.[p]CC

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    djm5x9,[p]Damn fine looking ribs! I may have to use this as wallpaper, but I won't take credit for the cook.. trust me.[p]K~G

• djm5x9,[p]Those are some fine looking ribs...now I'm really hungry![p]What recipe did you use to cook those beauties?
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Frank:[p]Those ribs were done with Shakes or just plain old Lawry's.