Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I join the BGE family ??

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well after debating back and forth I took the plunge and got a large big green egg today. My wife thinks I'm crazy so hopefully I can win her over. I cooked some burgers after being an egg-er for just a couple of hours. They were very good but they are still just burgers. I hope to get a little fancier soon and show her what all the hoopla is about.[p]One question however. I'm not much off a drinker but I noticed in nearly every picture posted there is a beer or wine in the picture. So can I join the club if I'm sober?? Will the food still taste great?? Please tell me you guys are not just soused and this is why the egg seems so great. Anyway Ive been reading the forums a while now have already learned a lot. Thanks and talk to you soon.

Comments

• ArtieQ
    ArtieQ Posts: 65
    Sirhuntsalot,
    Nope, you don't have to drink a drop iffin you dont wanna!! Give yourself some time and a lot of experimenting and you'll see why we are so crazy about our eggs and why a lot of us own more than one!![p]I take it from your handle that you hunt? I do myself and love cooking game on my egg. I'm currently counting the days to deer season.

• Sirhuntsalot,
    LOL Not a drinker here either, so I think that crazy affection for the egg isn't alcohol related! welcome to the 'madness'...

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Sirhuntsalot, I don't know what you might be thinkin, we're not drunk, we're just drinkin. You will get a lot more beverage time with the Egg than fire fighting a gasser or a charcoal grill.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Sirhuntsalot,
    It is actually the BGE Kool-Aid in a beer can. More than welcome. Glad you chimed in.
    Now, cook some ribs.[p]Mike

• Sirhuntsalot,
    Hey, thanks guys just having a little fun with you. I almost hated to get the egg dirty. It was so pretty and white inside. I hope to be giving the little electric Brinkman away soon.

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Sirhuntsalot,[p]I like non-drinkers. They make the best beer fetchers!! Are you coming to Eggtoberfest in Atlanta this year? I don't have a beer fetcher yet! :)[p]Welcome to the fami....... uuhh.... forum!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Sirhuntsalot,
    welcome aboard and may that new white egg soon become veteran shiney black!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Sirhuntsalot,
    Drink what? All we drink around here is Kool_Aid.The Sam Adams etc. is what we all put in the roasting pan to give all of the great food FLAVOR.Welcome to the clan and enjoy.Just make sure you have lots of ice to cool down that Kool Aid.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Sirhuntsalot,
    Not a drinker but a chain smoker.... Smokin' with my green egg of course for clarification thats it! Welcome to the cult... I mean club. ~Pharmeggist

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Sirhuntsalot,[p]I think you will find this forum to be very friendly and they even answer questions that have been asked over and over (and may even be stupid, sometimes, on my part anyway).[p]Welcome to the forum/family/cult... [p]I am a newbie of two months, so I don't know a whole lot yet, but I am getting there... Did a great beef stew on the egg this past weekend with hickory chips for flavor... It was good...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    Sirhuntsalot,
    Welcome to the best forms for BBQ & BGE site there is. Just jump in and have fun cooking. The worst thing to happen is you over cook you Butt. But thats ok you will learn fast and enjoy it. As for your wife she will be a beleiver fast mine was now she wont order BBQ out no more when she has the best Butt in town right at home.[p]Happy Egging
    Pork Butt Mike

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Sirhuntsalot,
    Everything turns out great. Do a Boston butt smoked with guava wood from Guava Greg. Everyone will think you are a professional cook. Very easy to cook.

• Sirhuntsalot,
    I thought Randy was crazy too when he brought home our first egg. Then I won the large in Atlanta last year, and had to learn to cook on MY egg....they are great. Starting with baking sweets, now I'm on to the meats. The "family" is great, and I know now will be life long friends. Enjoy the threads...and awesome pictures. Your wife will come along soon.[p]Mrs (waiting for my new handle) AZRP

• bobinaz
    bobinaz Posts: 44
    Sirhuntsalot,
    Welcome. I'm sure most any of the drinkin beverages you have seen here are strictly for food flavoring...yeah, that's it. Drink or no drink, it is the food and eggware that we focus on.

• Sirhuntsalot,[p]Welcome to the family! I have to say that even a legally blind person can cook on the Egg! I just got done with an 8lb Prime Rib which wowed my friends. I cooked ABT's & mushrooms as well and didn't have time to take pictures as it was all going too fast![p]Happy Eggin'[p]Legally Blind Egghead
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Sirhuntsalot,[p]and am not the least bit uncomfortable with this crew. The last thing I would call them is a bunch of drunks. They're a happy harmless bunch that need to exercise a little besides bending their elbows all the time. ;>)
  • Wow....what a nice welcome. I almost feel like I know many of you because Ive been lurking here for sometime now. Once again thanks and I will definitely be taking advantage of all your knowledge and generosity. Here's to smoke in your eye....
  • Sirhuntsalot,[p]I am new as well. I like the Egg because I can cook a weeks worth of Bfast, lunch and dinner on my Eggie in one cooking, and the family just loves it. Do yo have kids? Introduce your wife to cooking scrambled eggs in a cupcake tin on the Egg as it is cooling down after you have TRexed your dinner steaks. She'll have breakfast covered all week. People here are great in helping out newbies. They have a lot of fun just sharing foodie accomplishments. [p]And I hear you about getting the Egg dirty - but Pharmeggist won't reply to my former business development post about spa treatments for the Egg.[p]Best,[p]Kelly
  • Pharmeggist
    Kelly,
    I am seriously looking at the spa treatments for the egg! Are you willing to relocate to Hawaii? The only thing that is a deal breaker at the momment is that I am adding a new addition to my family. In less than 10 days as My wife has a scheduled C-section... We are having a boy. We have a 1 & 1/2 year old girl "Olivia" now. So I can't quit my day job at the momment. So I need to go outside and hug my eggs because they didn't get used today. LOL ~Pharmeggist

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    MrsAZRP,
    I guess "Horse Wisperer" doesn't cut it. How about "Secretariat" since you are about to be come a Thoughbread with the egg?[p]Mike

• Pharmeggist,[p]Oh, I understand. Had the C myself 9 years ago. Congrats in advance on the boy. Mine is a Nicole.[p]I'm in Colorado and I have to say after growing up surfer girl in San Diego - I LOVE the mountains. So we'll have to debate corporate headquarters.[p]HA![p]Kelly
  • Pharmeggist
    Kelly,
    My wife is from California (Covina).... We met on AOL instant messenger and we got married a year later. We just celebrated our 5 year anniversary this past July 6th. You know it is love when your wife gives up California to move to Alabama :=) She thinks my BGE is sexy! LOL it really turns her on.
    ~Pharmeggist

• Pharmeggist,[p]I met my husband at Tailhook '89 in Vegas (a Navy thing) and he took me from SD to Japan then CO. I don't blame him...he bought me an Egg for Mother's Day! (BTW - dont look at the early stages of the C. Just be there)[p]So I am thinking of a biodegradable waxish spray that absorbs smoke/ash that is wiped off by porous/non abrasive wipes...with lingering aroma of walnut, cherry and alder...[p]K.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Sirhuntsalot,
    Sure. I don't either. I can do some damage to some Cokes in Atlanta in that October sun though :>)[p]H

• AlaskanC,
    yep, who's your beer daddy at eggfest??? . . .i swig my diet coke, and make sure you are adequetly supplied with bud-lite. ...

• Sirhuntsalot,[p]Welcome to the family. I had the same issues. Here were my solutions:[p]My grilling drink of choice[p]1. Creme Soda :)[p]Winning the wife over took a two fold approach:[p]Step A: Grill often (I grill every night now) and let her cook less/enjoy her hobbies like reading/scrap booking etc.[p]Step B: Buy some good 2 inch thick filets and T-Rex them... Brag that it taste better than your fav steak joint and that you can cook at home and save spending 100 or so out at your fav steak join for special occasions. Or buy some sirloin and chuck meat... grind them up yourself and hit them with some kosher salt and make her the best burger she's ever had. If she isn't into burgers or steak... find what she likes and learn to make it really well for her. Salmon? Once she taste what the BGE is capable of... she'll be coming home with grilling supplies for you :) "I got some more lump and a pizza stone for you".