Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Pellets?

Options
Pork Butt
Pork Butt Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MyPictures014.jpg
<p /> Where I live in Florida the only smoke chunks of wood I can get is Hickory. My question is has anyone ever used pellets for smoking? If so is there any tips you can give me on pellets? I am going to try pecan pellets today for a pastrami cook. Corn beef has been soaking now for three days and rubbed last night and wrapped, ready to go today.[p]Pork Butt Mike

Comments

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Pork Butt,
    I have used some Jack Daniels pellets with reasonable success. I followed the directions on the package and made a double-thick aluminum foil packet to contain the pellets, poked holes in the top, and put it on the lump. [p]Good luck.

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    Pork Butt,[p]I have used pellets in the past and have found the best way to use them is place them in a small heavy aluminum or SS bowl... I have found that wrapping in aluminum foil and dropping them in there just hasn't worked well for me... a lot of times the aluminum will melt and then you have pellets everywhere and aluminum flakes everywhere...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Pork Butt,
    i use pecan pellets on meat that doesnt need to be heavily smoked like a turkey. pastrami doesnt need a heavy smoke, it should be fine. i just found a brine for corning my own cored beef/pastrami, i think im going to give it a shot with a chuck roast this week.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,
    2 questios. what is your percediure for using pellets?
    2nd how about your pastrami receip?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    okiesmokie,
    ive done the foil canoes, but now i just throw some in and add some later during the cook, nothing fancy. a mixture of guava and pecan is good. this is the pastrami recipe i found today, there is a link to the brine in it. i talked to the butcher that makes a great one around here and he uses NO curing agents other than kosher salt and brines for 8-10 days only and i will probably go that route. newengland corned beef is grey, not the red you see elsewhere, it doesnt need to be soaked to make a corned beef dinner, and only needs about 8 hours soak time if making pastrami verse the 24 hour plus for the store red variety.

[ul][li]simple pastrami link[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I use pellets, they work great. Try here:[p]
    [ul][li]http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/order.htm[/ul]