Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Floor Drain for the Small and Other Stuff

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know that I have posted this before, but I am really happy with the floor drain in the small. I finally cut the legs off of it with a hacksaw and it now works like a champ. I cooked some frozen hamburgers with Southwest Smokey Char Crust last night. I have never seen the small get to temperature so quick. Also, the temperature recovery was faster than I have ever seen it. This is a simple cast iron floor drain from Home Depot and it cost me about four dollars.[p]Most of my grilling of late has been only frozen hamburgers and sausages. Things have just been busy. On Saturday morning, I grilled some breakfast link sausage with some Jack Daniels wood chips. That is always a nice start to the day with some Buckwheat Pancakes.[p]I am starting to plan a cook out for my co-workers at the end of the month. KennyG (thank you) has agreed to let me borrow his Large BGE so that I can cook enough Pulled Pork at one time. Jerked Chicken and some Pick-A-Pepper Shrimp will accompany the meal. This should be fun.[p]Oh yeah, one final note. The local sweet corn is ready and it is the best of the summer. It is that one batch of corn for which you wait the whole year.[p]Happy Grilling,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    RhumAndJerk,
    I didn't have a small EGG the time you posted before about the floor drain,so didn't print out the info, what size was the drain? Was it a 4"? Thanks, Bob

• RhumAndJerk
    Bamabob,
    I never actually measured the floor drain. I happened to be at Home Depot and I just picked up the smallest that they had. It was the same size as the ceramic egg bottom. I got lucky. It sits maybe a quarter to a half-inch higher than the BGE part, but not enough to matter. I used it upside down before I cut the legs off and it did not work well. Now, it should not clog because of the taper on the underside of the holes.[p]Give it a try,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk, YOU probably know this but perhaps others don't When I light my small (and I also use a floor drain) and I'm headed for high temps I stick the Weber cube in the bottom vent, light it and push it to the center under the grate. Last night in a mere 20 minutes my dome was 750°. The updraft created works wonders and I've never had this fail.

• RhumAndJerk
    one feral kat,
    I have never had much luck with placing a fire starter under the great. Although, I have not tried that trick when I had the floor drain. I usually reserve that trick only when my dome is frozen shut, but those days are a long way off yet.[p]Next time I will try it,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk,
    trust me, it works well in conjunction with the metal grate.