Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Be Aware of Steam

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a new owner/user, I encountered a situation that other newbies should be aware of. My first attempt at cooking steaks resulted in a close call with hot steam and bare skin. I got my egg up to 650F, seared both sides of the steaks with the dampers wide open, and then closed both dampers. Three minutes later I burped the egg and then started to fully open the lid to remove the steaks. It was then that I encountered a significant burst of steam from under the lid that was both startling and extremely hot on my bare hand and arm. I had expected a lot of smoke when I fully lifted the lid but wasn't ready for the steam. Next time I'll know what to expect and will also be wearing an oven mit.[p]Don

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    DT2,
    i'm not a fan of the "shut all dampers" method of finishing off a steak for that reason, plus another.[p]after shutting dampers, a fattier cut, like a rib eye, will still render fat out onto the coals. that fat will smolder
    and because the lump is cooling, it doiesn't burn as hot. that means the smoke is fatty and on the low end of "clean". colder fires aren't as efficient, and don't fully combust (don't nurn "cleanly"). ...that's also why when you start the egg, the early smoke given off as the fire gets started can be really acrid.[p]i like my smoke and steam to have a way out...[p]be careful of steam when doing veggies too.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    DT2,
    Not so much steam,it is the mix of in-rushing oxygen and the hot lump, AKA "flashback", best seen at night as a large colorful orange/blue ball of flame.

• Big Daddy - OCT
    Options
    DT2,
    I feel your pain. I did the same thing about a year ago and had several areas of 2nd degree burns that instantly went to blisters. These eggs that we love so dearly are just very efficient at retaining moisture so I've learned to do the burp and then a slow rise to let that ball of steam clear out of there.[p]Best to you,[p]Bruce

• Unknown
    Options
    stike,
    Thanks for the tip about veggies. Haven't tried any yet but they are on the to-do list just as soon as my garden starts producing.[p]Don

• Unknown
    Options
    tach18k,
    I don't believe that my experience was a flashback, there wasn't any flame or sound associated with it. I had burped the egg but this didn't dissipate the steam that was trapped under the lid because of the fully closed top damper. Lots of very hot, wet smoke but no flame. Don

• Saucehog
    Saucehog Posts: 30
    Options
    DT2,
    Try using a silicon glove. I use one when I am getting up to high temps. We sell a few of them on line...but you can get them at target and you don't have to pay shipping.[p]Once you get burnt..you will always want to use protection..[p]Cheers,
    Saucehog

[ul][li]Silicon Glove[/ul]