Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Ribs - will I be disappointed?

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning to do ribs tomorrow and I bought some at Costco today. All they had were shrink wrapped spares. I asked the guy in the meat department if they were fresh or injected with salt solution. He told me that they are the same ones they sell in trays but they were too busy tonight to to open them and repackage them. He also said they would be labelled if they were enhanced. [p]I trusted him and bought a pack. I'm kind of wary of cooking them, but that's all I have. Have any of you bought the shrinkwrapped ribs from Costco? How were they?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    1210spares2.jpg
    <p />BluesnBBQ,
    I think you meant cry-o-vac. Shrink wrap is at store level. Cry-o-vac is manufacturer level. Yes, it has to say if they were enhanced. I haven't done spares for a long time.
    Costco and Sam's actually carries a nice grade of beef. Pork is not graded that I know of. Just astoundeds me. Chicken is but I don't think anyone on the board wants to know how.
    1210spares3.jpg
    Mike

• Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    BluesnBBQ,
    You'll be fine. He was correct in stating that if they are enhanced they must be labeled.(I have never seen enhanced ribs at Costco) I have had many times. Remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs, rub, 3-1-1 perfect everytime.
    Enjoy Doug

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Have a 2 hour drive to Costco, so don't go, However have been buying Hormel Baby Backs 2 1/2-3 1/2 Lbs at Albertson's in Florida for a few years when on sale. They are Hormel"s and say 12% solution injected and have been very happy with them for $2.99/Lb. Just bought 12 slabs yesterday. 5-6 hours indirect 250F spritz after 3 hours every 1/2 hour, mix of choice. no foil wrap or direct.
  • onelegchef
    onelegchef Posts: 119
    BluesnBBQ,
    I buy ribs often from Cosco that are cray-o-vac packed, never had a problem.
    Happy 4th-Bobby

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Thanks for all of the encouragement! The last time I posted about ribs it was about how disappointed I was by the cryovaced (and I know that term - I used to work for W.R. Grace and they owned Cryovac when I started there), enhanced ribs.[p]I'm looking forward to cooking these tomorrow - with a homemade rub, indirect for about 5 hours, no foil.[p]Have a great Independence Day!
  • Richard,
    I just got 3 of these Hormel's as well. Are there membranes on these as well, or did they take that off for you?

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Uncle Chopper,
    What do you want for the price? hehe. I take the membrane off when they are still frozen. Slip a filet knife under the bone side and grab with some paper towel..