Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking salmon, maybe?????

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cleaned out Mr. Egg, put just about 5 small pieces of lump in and started with a cube, then I put a chunk of pecan on top of the lump. Have the grill on and 2 pieces of salmon fillet on one of those small porcelain veggies trays with the holes in it. Coated the tray with a little oil, put lemon and pepper on the salmon. Will try to smoke at low temp., any thoughts as to how long if I can keep the temp. under 160. Pieces are about 4" by 7", maybe 1/2 to 3/4" thick. The kind you get from Costco. I'm just eggsperimenting.
New Bob

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    New Bob,
    At 350* it's about 1 1/2 hours. At 160 +/- I'm not sure maybe 2 - 2 1/2 hours. I'd check it every 20 mins. or so after the 1 1/2 hour mark. Cook it until it flakes and looses that translucent internal appearance.
    B D

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Big Daddy,
    Thanks, I have not cooked a lot of fish, so far the egg is holding 160° just fine. At least at the lower temp. I get to enjoy playing with the egg a little longer.
    New Bob

• New Bob,
    Next time you might try the temp. alot higher. I usually cook about a 3" wide fillet, put a little lemon juice on it, and cover w/ brown sugar. Put it on the Egg for 2 min. a side at about 600 to 700 temp., close lid, and let it sit for 4-5 min. You want to char the sides which keeps it moist on the inside. Just a thought while reading down the posts