Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are my chances of success?

Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of cooking a brisket for about 5-6 hours in my large egg then foiling and refrigerating it before it is done. The next morning I will put it in a cold cooler and drive 8 hours to my sisters house and then finish cooking it in the foil in an oven. What chance do I have of having a great finished product? I don't expect to win a competition this way but hope to provide the primary ingredient for a yummy dinner. Thoughts? I am thinking I will add some beef broth or beef base and water before it goes in the oven.[p]Kinger

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Kinger aka JNK,[p]Don't do the partial cook thing. Fully cook it the way you normally like them, rest about an hour, keep the temp above 140°. Meanwhile drop a bag of ice into your cooler (that's a switch huh?) and add some water. Slip the brisket into a vacuum bag with any drippings if you have them. Then seal the bag. Don't vacuum it, just seal it. (I actually do double seals about 1/2" apart.) Then into the iced water. with that bad boy.[p]What you are trying to do is get it as cold as possible (near 40°) as fast as possible. After an hour in the iced water, dry the pouch and refrigerate. Keep it cold in a cooler during the drive and reheat as planned.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    thirdeye,[p]In posting on brisket once, did I read that you sometimes prefer to hold the brisket in the refrigerator for a day before eating, and that this provides a better flavor?[p]If so, what is your preferred method for reheating?[p]Many thanks,[p]DD
  • thirdeye
    DobieDad,[p]Yes, it's for flavor.[p]First choice is in a vacuum bag using a Nesco roaster with heated water. Second choice is in a covered pan or in a foil pouch (with drippings or a broth mixture) in a 250° oven or cooker until heated through.[p]The week after the 4th I'm helping with a Fair and Rodeo barbecue my buddy throws every year. I am cooking 50 to 60 pounds of packers Sunday. On Monday night we will both cook 80 pounds of butts and a case of lamb legs. Not sure on the weight there. Tuesday morning I am cooking 20 fatties and the burnt ends. Around noon, One guy will be pulling the pork because I usually man the cutting table, slicing the brisket and lamb fresh for the serving line. I hope there will be time for some pictures. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DobieDad
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks! You solved a problem for me, and no doubt contributed to my enjoyment of brisket.[p]Whew! That's a lotta Q![p]Have fun! Wish I was standing in that serving line :-)[p]DD
  • thirdeye
    DSC02385a.jpg
    <p />DobieDad,[p]Here is a lunch plate of some brisket reheated in the vac bags. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• DobieDad
    thirdeye,[p]Yep! That would do me well![p]Thanks again,[p]DD
  • Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the ideas. I picked up two flats at Sam's and will follow your advice. That plate looks awesome! Good luck with the "Monster Cook" that is ahead of you and Happy 4th.[p]Kinger